Cookham Discussion Board
January 21, 2018, 06:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
20 January 2018 - Make Your Own Nesting Boxes

22 January 2018 - Robbie Burns Faces Mother's Ruin

24 January 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for GP Training (12.30pm onward)

26 January 2018 - Jazz at the Altar Featuring Upbeat

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GRAVITY GRAND PRIX APRIL FOOL  (Read 5164 times)
admin
Administrator

« on: April 01, 2009, 12:19:17 AM »

Health & Safety Rules Puts The Brakes On Cookham Dean Gravity Grand Prix

‘Ridiculous’ Euro-Rules Mean Race Must Relocate To High Street.

A shock health & safety ruling is set to force a change of course for the Cookham Dean Gravity Grand Prix.

The organisers of the charity event have branded the ruling by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) as ‘ridiculous’. The committee has been told that the karts’ brakes do not meet new EC regulations.

The shattering news came in a letter from the HSE.  It states: “I must inform you that the karts used in the Cookham Dean Gravity Grand Prix are defined as ‘powered road vehicles’ for the purpose of the Act.

Although the legislation has yet to receive Royal Assent in Parliament, all vehicles taking part will need to comply with Regulation (EC/6151512/041/A F) Braking Efficiency (Amendment) Act 2009.”

Peter Bartlett, one of the event organisers, stormed: “The problem we have, as always, is with the letter-of-the-law UK interpretation of an EC directive.

Anyone with any sense would class the carts as un-powered. The HSE in their wisdom have taken the definition literally and decided that the karts are indeed powered - by gravity.”

“As powered road vehicles they fall within the scope of the regulations, which means that the braking systems of all the karts will need to be certificated against the new standard. It’s ridiculous - and you can be very sure the organisers of the rival French and German events won’t be subject to the same petty bureaucracy. My feeling is that the Dutch are behind this. They have never recognised the sport”

Bartlett went on. “I telephoned the HSE and spoke someone who was exceedingly unhelpful. The fact that we raised £10k for charity made no difference to this man’s attitude. He kept saying that he had seen a video of the event on YouTube and thought it should be stopped, regardless.

“This jobsworth approach threatens to undermine Britain’s standing as a world class Gravity Racing nation.”

“It seems that the only way around the ruling is to hold the event on flat ground. The committee have decided that, although some last minute changes to the rules will have to be made, Cookham High Street is now the likely venue.”

ENDS. Further information Peter Bartlett 07771 99 6000

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:56:34 AM by admin » Logged
Richard
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »

Well that's just ridiculous. And today of all days...
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »

Do you know Richard, as my grandfather would say these folks are "Talking through there hats! It is pure TWADDLE! Yes I know what day it is, and to me it is a sick joke.
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »

Why not simply follow the Australians last weekend and run it uphill?

Are we only going to race from left to right like in San Seriffe?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:39:26 PM by Bagheera » Logged
Boanerges

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:06:34 PM »

Before all "Colonel barking-mads" blow a gasket, this is plainly an April fool jolly jape. My advice is to not believe all the anti europe propaganda you hear, as it just confirms what a narrow minded eejut you are!
Richard
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »

Gosh, Boanerges, how perceptive of you.

Huh
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »

Can we use this legislation to stop the economy going downhill as well?
sandwich
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:57:16 PM »

I tend to believe things I read on cookham.com. However, running the Cookham Dean Gravity Grand Prix on flat ground??? That’s pushing it a bit.
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »

Have you never heard of a flat race, Sandwich?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: