Cookham Discussion Board
April 23, 2018, 04:09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
24 April 2018 - Give Blood at the Pinder Hall

26 April 2018 - Buckinghamshire in the Civil Wars 1640-1660

1 May 2018 -  The Wonderful World of Whisky

4 May 2018 -  Elizabeth House Quiz Night

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A special thank you to the staff at Maidenhead station  (Read 2762 times)
aj

« on: April 04, 2016, 10:59:59 PM »

After a three hour commute, caused by signalling problems, how refreshing to have courteous staff at Maidenhead there to help weary passengers and hold the 8:44 to Marlow for four minutes to allow the very delayed train from Paddington to connect.

Oh wait....

I was so tired I think I must have dozed off. Of course, we were dumped on the platform with no-one around and left to wait an hour for the next Marlow train. Why should FGW - or GWR  - bringing the Great into Great Western, as they are so fond of telling us - give a damn about their 'customers'. Silly me.

So I had to fork out another 10 quid for a taxi. I get that this is not, strictly, GWR's fault. Similarly, it's not my fault either. Having someone at Maidenhead to coordinate things would have been nice but of course this assumes that management and staff actually give a damn.  Angry
Gazzetta

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »

I generally dont like to mock the afflicted but..........I do agree.    I have been commuting for 11 years and still cannot get used to how ( what's the word ? ) inept the staff are to be unable to "think outside of the box" and be more customer centric.   I've swallowed the bull**it bible.   
Paris
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:51:28 PM »

aj - you have my sympathies.  I'm not a commuter myself, but my OH was for a few years and this sort of thing happened all the time.  I would be sitting at Cookham Station only to find out that the connection had failed and would then have to drive to Maidenhead to pick him up.  Now, you could say - why not just go to Maidenhead to start with - but that would have defeated the object of having a ticket to and from Cookham!!!!  Not only would that portion of the ticket have been wasted as yours was - but so would a lot more petrol! 
Watchman

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 04:15:18 PM »

..... but of course this assumes that management and staff actually give a damn..... think/ use their initiative / show some courtesy towards the people who pay their wages ...

But of course, they won't ... and never will.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:17:12 PM by Watchman » Logged
kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »

I had the same problem a few Sundays ago (not as delayed as yours though). Travelling back from Twyford, my train from Reading was ''held back'' for 10 mins to let 2 fast trains through, thanks to that i missed the connection by 5 mins. When i asked why they never held my train back, their reply,,, 'we weren't given permission to'... Useless company..

Lacrimosa
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »

I was caught up in Monday’s mayhem too. Three hours from Paddington to Cookham! I eventually travelled direct to Reading, doubled back to Maidenhead, then just managed to catch that holy grail of all trains, the 2044 to Marlow. Sadly for you, AJ, it must have been the only train running on time that day.

Of course, this was on top of a half hour delay in the morning.

Spare a thought too for those travelling later the same evening, as the fun didn’t end there. Those travelling west after 2300 got stuck at Maidenhead for over an hour following a broken rail at Twyford. My OH finally got home (to Henley) at 0140 – via taxi for the last leg, as the last connection for Henley was long gone by that time.

As it really was exceptionally bad that day, even by GWR’s standards, my advice is to pick up a Compensation for Delay form at Cookham Station or here on their website:

https://www.gwr.com/customer-service/refunds-and-compensation/delay-compensation

Mine’s already filled in.
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »

Generally speaking, you can get compensation fare if you were delayed more than half an hour (they want the ticket back so do not throw it away).

If a connection is missed then that should give a delay of around an hour.  It is worth claiming, if only do demonstrate that there are consequences to not holding the connection.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: