Cookham Discussion Board
October 19, 2017, 07:29:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 October 2017 - Open Minds The Teenagers' Debating Group

20 October 2017 - Classic Rock at Cookham Dean Cricket Club

20 October 2017 - Social Dance Club

26 October 2017 - Pinder Hall AGM including free nibbles and Drinks

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs in Cars and Crime Update  (Read 622 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: July 28, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »

Several people have emailed me and asked about dogs left in cars overheating and in distress.

This is the official guidance from the police:

Question
There is a dog in a vehicle that appears hot and distressed, what should I do?
Answer
This does depend on the level of distress.
It is not advisable to force entry to the vehicle yourself in the first instance. Your first step should be to call the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
If the police don't have time to get there, then you have to decide if you should take action. Make sure you tell the police what you intend to do, why and, where possible, take images/footage of the dog and the names and numbers of witnesses to the incident. The law states that you have a lawful excuse to commit damage if:
'at the time of the act or acts alleged to constitute the offence you believed that the person or persons whom you believe to be entitled to consent to the destruction of or damage to the property in question . . . .would so consent to it if s/he . . . had known of the destruction or damage and its circumstances' (section 5(2)(a) Criminal Damage Act 1971).
(this legal reference is slightly modified for clarity)
Don't do this unless certain of your ground and are prepared to defend your actions at court in the unlikely event any action was taken.
The RSPCA can offer guidance on information on cruelty via their cruelty line at any time on 0300 1234 999. See further advice from the RSPCA on the website in related information.

I hope this helps.  We had a case last week where two of our PCSOs were called to a car parked beside the Bear Pub in Maidenhead with a dog trapped inside obviously in distress.  To cheers from the crowd around the car, PCSO Graham Knight smashed the window and removed the dog !

MAIDENHEAD CENTRAL:
maidenheadcentralnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
26/7  Tuesday 4.30 p.m.  Summerleaze Road.  The owner of a house phoned the police to say that someone was outside trying to break in.  A man outside rang the doorbell.  As the aggrieved went to open it, the man outside forced the door open and walked in.  He was immediately challenged and ran away immediately, getting on a bike and riding off.  The police attended immediately, put on a containment and carried out an area search looking for a man matching the excellent description given by the aggrieved.  He was located and arrested on suspicion of burglary.

RIVERSIDE & BELMONT:
maidenheadcentralnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

MAIDENHEAD WEST
BISHAM, COOKHAM, HURLEY, THE WALTHAMS, LITTLEWICK GREEN & KNOWL HILL:
26/7  Tuesday 7.30 p.m.  Woodmoor End, Cookham.  Attempted Burglary.  The owner returned to find jemmy marks around a door frame – no entry gained and nothing stolen

PINKNEYS GREEN & FURZE PLATT:
maidenheadwestnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
27/7  Wednesday 5 a.m.  Malders Lane.  VW Golf set on fire – not one of the two stolen earlier this week, but recorded as stolen from Italy !!!  the fire was put out by Bucks Fire and rescue.
26/7  Tuesday midnight.  Lincoln Road.  The owner was at home and heard a loud crash.  They went to investigate and found that something had been thrown through the living room window smashing the glass.  She saw 2 men outside, heavily clothed with their faces covered, who immediately ran away.

MAIDENHEAD SOUTH
BOYN HILL, COX GREEN & WOODLANDS PARK:
Your Neighbourhood Page on TVP's Website - Click Here
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

OLDFIELD & BRAY:
maidenheadsouthnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

COMMENTS:

For any advice / information about cybercrime:

Cyber safety/crime prevention
A common question from the public relates to how to keep themselves safe online. There are a number of sensible and simple measures to take in order to protect against these risks, which include identity theft and criminals stealing your personal and financial data to defraud you or steal from your bank account.
Precautions are as simple as choosing safe passwords and ensuring you have adequate antivirus/antispyware installed, to learning how to distinguish between genuine and fraudulent websites and emails.

For more help there are a number of useful websites that provide a wealth of information, suitable for all audiences:

www.GetSafeOnline.org
www.CyberStreetWise.com

I attended a session with ‘Get Safe Online’ a couple of weeks ago.  Most of it was as I have put out, but the chap did have some good tips.  If you cannot remember loads of different passwords and always use one – think about adding a suffix – so Mickeymouseebay – mickeymousepaypal – mickymousewindows – mickeymouseitunes etc etc etc.  Also think about replacing any letter Ls with figure 1s Huh  Simple but effective.  The other tip he gave if you need to write passwords down, was not to write the password itself down, but write a clue to help you remember it, that would mean nothing to anyone else !  So if it is mickeymouse – write down ‘Steamboat Willie’ !  That should trigger the memory, without revealing any useful information.

Hi

Just received text from asking me for my bank details so they could deposit £4523.66 into my account!!!

They also provided web address for me to go online and complete my details

Of course I did nothing!

Regards

Many thanks – unless you know who they are and why they want to deposit money into your account – you must not give your bank details to just anyone that asks for them !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: