Cookham Discussion Board
October 20, 2017, 12:25:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 October 2017 - Open Minds The Teenagers' Debating Group

20 October 2017 - Classic Rock at Cookham Dean Cricket Club

20 October 2017 - Social Dance Club

26 October 2017 - Pinder Hall AGM including free nibbles and Drinks

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marlow Bridge  (Read 2368 times)
lizzyk

« on: November 10, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »

I was talking to some friends from Marlow this week and they said that there are plans to not re-open Marlow Bridge. That would be a disaster, particularly for the shopkeepers and Cookham Bridge, I would have thought. They want to have the facility for people to sit out on the bridge.
Merriman

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 04:23:24 PM »

There was an online poll conducted by Bucks Free Press asking residents if they thought the bridge should be closed permanently and it being closed came out as the winner until they discovered that 10,584 votes all came from one computer. Below is an excerpt from the article with a link to the full article at the bottom

In an online ballot created by the Bucks Free Press, the option to close the bridge permanently came out top with 83 per cent of the vote.

However, 10,584 votes originated from just one computer. Discounting repeat votes, 386 people voted in favour of closing the bridge, while 1097 agreed it should remain open.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/NEWS/14828268.Residents__fury_over_suggestions_damaged_bridge_should_close_to_traffic/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:27:33 PM by Merriman » Logged
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »

I wonder if that was the person on here that answers their own posts?
RDAphotography

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 06:06:47 PM »

I have a friend who works on the rivers with a local company, they have been at Marlow bridge for the last two weeks to check the structures under the water and are still checking the struts for damage.
He said that there is cracks on the bridge structures above road level so it is going to be a while before the bridge is replaired and reopended.

Merriman

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:35:27 PM »

Hopefully Buckinghamshire council will be able to get necessary works undertaken.

I am personally not sure how much of this damage was actually caused by the truck. Everyone talks about the 37 tonne truck and 3 tonne weight limit. Yet 37 tonnes is the maximum permissible gross vehicle weight for that type of truck. Was it fully loaded, empty or somewhere in between at the time it drove on to the bridge? There are reports about it crashing on to the bridge, yet from ear witness reports there was a loud bang as it entered the bridge, likely caused by the width restriction bollards popping the tyres off their rims, so it is unlikely it raced on to the bridge.

Whilst there is a 3 tonne maximum vehicle weight, how many times have you seen 4 land rovers or similar vehicles on each side of the bridge at the same time?  Well that is over 16 tonnes right there and lifting gear has to have a safety factor of at least 2 times, so that would mean there would need to be a safe operational weight of at least 32 tonnes for the bridge.

Whilst I completely understand the need to check the safety of the bridge I would be surprised if the alleged damage was caused by this single incident.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:07:52 PM by Merriman » Logged
Showem

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »

The bridge is set to reopen to cars on November 25th. http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/14908359.Damaged_Marlow_Bridge_to_reopen_this_month/
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »

Apparently it is due to open at 10 am on Friday.

There is also a sign on it saying it will be closed on 4 December, though!
Mac

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 10:49:11 AM »

It'll be closed for a few hours due to the Christmas fun run.

http://www.santasfunrun.org/aboutevent.html

Ian64

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »

The bridge is open 😆
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: