Cookham Discussion Board
August 21, 2018, 07:49:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
23 August 2018 - Cookham - Flood Response Training

27 August 2018 - Garden Open - St Timothee, Maidenhead

1 September 2018 - Cookham Regatta

1 September 2018 -  Pop Up Sri Lanken Restaurant at the Old Butchers

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Razor wire  (Read 3385 times)
aj

« on: December 11, 2016, 07:22:14 PM »

I know we all like to protect our property but walking up the track that parallels Quarry Wood Rd I see that the owners of the pink property have surrounded their entire land with rolls of razor wire like something out of the Battle of the Somme. It looks hideous but also worries me that wildlife, or someone's pet dog or cat,  might get trapped in it - there are literally hundreds of yards - see the attached picture. Or even a child could get in there and get terribly injured - there's a hole in the outer fence through which this could easily happen.

I've made an enquiry to the council to see if it's acceptable for a landowner to do something like this. It really is a horrible thing to see amid the beautiful scenery.
Roger

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »

Don't the Woodland Trust own some of the adjacent land on the other side of the road? They may have some comments. I suppose the fact that razor wire can be bought means that people can use it. The people in the pink house do seem to think they are living in Fort Knox the way they are protecting it.
Cat

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »

Please post whatever response you get from the council AJ. It's unbelievable to see these cartwheels of razor wire in those lovely woods. What on earth are the people in the pink house protecting themselves from?
It doesn't seem possible that any landowner can be within their legal rights to erect something so lethal right alongside a public pathway, especially if there is a gap in the outer fence.
And you may well get a reply from the council that they will investigate as judging by the following extract from a legal paper on the matter it doesn't sound as if there are any warning signs erected:

"There are several laws on the matter one of which is the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 which basically states that anyone who owns, or controls property has a legal duty of care to protect people on the property from foreseeable harm. This duty extends to people on the property without permission – including burglars and vandals.

To help discharge this duty we would always advise that clear warning signs such as “Danger Razor Wire or Danger Wall spikes” etc are fitted at sufficient intervals that they are undeniably visible and present a clear warning to potential trespassers of the hazard. Additionally these signs should be of sufficient design that they wont deteriorate with time and are robust enough to withstand prolonged inclement weather and sun bleaching. Additionally the Razor wire or wall spikes should be located in a position that they are clearly visible, setting a trap or camouflaging the products would almost certainly create a potential legal issue should an intruder be harmed as a result".
Cat

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »

Hi AJ
I'm just wondering if you have received a response yet from our local council regarding this awful installation?
Thank you
simonjamesturner

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »

This is only one of many local properties that have taken to protecting their boundaries with spikes or razor wire etc.. Its not very effective at stopping burglars (who can simply lift up a section with gloves) but great at preventing photographers etc.. from gaining a view over the grounds and any 'adult' activities that may be taking place within.

As more people with 'interesting' lifestyles move into the Cookham area, we should expect to see more of this sort of thing. What a shame!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:27:19 AM by simonjamesturner » Logged
Barbarella

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »

Are there properties with "adult" activities going on in them then? Which ones? What sort of activities? And who are these people with "interesting" lifestyles moving to Cookham?! How would one identify them? (Is razor wire around your house a modern indication that "swinging" parties are held there? I believe it used to be a razor plant - i.e. Pampas Grass - in the front garden that indicated this type of activity abounded?!)

There're clearly a number of serious concerns around the erection of copious amounts of razor wire without adequate warning signs near public rights of way. I'm not sure that insinuating that the installations are there because the occupants wish to engage in some sort of private nefarious sexual activity without being photographed by walkers with long lenses is particularly useful! 😳
Styx

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »

"Adult activities?"

I completely understand wanting to protect your property whilst engaging in a robust evening of Monopoly with other like minded adult friends who have also recently moved to Cookham.

The original poster made a valid point concerning the safety of animals and walkers. Personally, I couldn't care less what goes on behind closed doors.

Showem

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »

The comment of "What a shame!" makes me think it's Simon who is sorry the razor wire has stopped him from gaining a view on these activities.
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »

Why do people think the rest of us are that interested in them?

Sounds like an inflated opinion of their own self-worth.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: