Cookham Discussion Board
December 16, 2018, 07:16:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
15 December 2018 -  Come and Sing

15 December 2018 -  Christmas with Cantorum

20 December 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

25 December 2018 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crime Update Friday, Training and Scams  (Read 698 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: September 15, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »

I sent this out to Old Windsor today:

13/9 - 14/9  Wednesday 7.45 p.m. / Thursday 7.30 a.m.  Burfield Road.  Car rear window smashed - Golf Clubs stolen.  For the - I don’t know how many times - PLEASE DO NOT LOAD YOUR GOLF CLUBS, INTO THE BACK OF YOUR CAR THE NIGHT BEFORE, FOR A FAST GETAWAY IN THE MORNING.  If you later see them on Ebay for example, it won’t help.  How would you positively identify them and then prove that, that actual set, is in fact yours !  The manufacturers will have produced thousands.  There is one sure way !  To visible mark them with your postcode and the first three letters of your house name.  On a metal shaft, this would need to be engraved using a Dremmel.
Any paint marking system would simply wash off.  You could also secrete some business cards within the golf bag were they won’t be easily found by a thief, but could be revealed later to the police HuhHuh?

MAIDENHEAD CENTRAL:
maidenheadcentralnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
15/9  Friday 6.10 a.m. / 8.30 a.m.  High Street.  Locked up bike left outside a shop stolen.  A grey, Carrera, man’s, racing bike.

RIVERSIDE & BELMONT:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

MAIDENHEAD WEST
maidenheadwestnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BISHAM, COOKHAM, HURLEY, THE WALTHAMS, LITTLEWICK GREEN & KNOWL HILL:
1/8 - 13/9  Lesters Cottages, Lesters Road, Cookham.  Garage roof tiles removed and lining slashed, to allow thieves access.  Nothing appears to have been taken.
12/9 - 14/9 Tuesday 6 p.m. / Thursday 6.30 p.m.  Coronation Road, Littlewick Green.  Shed breaks - locks forced - 4 sheds entered and searched.  Nothing appears to have been stolen.
13/9  Wednesday 2 p.m. / 5.30 p.m.  Golf Club Car Park, Grange Lane, Cookham.  Car rear driver’s side window smashed - LAPTOP STOLEN.

PINKNEYS GREEN & FURZE PLATT:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

MAIDENHEAD SOUTH
maidenheadsouthnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BOYN HILL, COX GREEN & WOODLANDS PARK:
15/9  Friday midnight / 8 a.m.  Manor Place, Manor Lane.  New house under construction broken into.  Rear patio doors smashed.  Clear footprints inside and boiler stolen, along with some tools.

OLDFIELD & BRAY:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

‘You can play your part in helping to tackle the terrorist threat facing the UK’.

‘Everyone, from law enforcement, to businesses, to the general public, has a role to play in keeping the UK safe from terrorism and to effectively combat the threat.  Everyone needs to work together.  Our aim, is to encourage people to be more vigilant – ‘if you suspect it, report it’ – please report all suspicious activity to the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321’.

‘For more information follow this link: https://act.campaign.gov.uk/

P.S.

FIRST - SOME FREE TRAINING AVAILABLE FOR GRANT FUNDING RE YOUNG PEOPLE AND BID WRITING:

WAM Get Involved: Writing Funding Bids Workshop with Children in Need

Mon 25 September 2017
2:00pm – 4.00pm
Council Chambers, Town Hall, St. Ives Road, Maidenhead, SL6 1RF

This training session / workshop will consist of 2 parts:

For the first hour, Pam Bacon, Regional Officer, Children and Need, South and West Region will be providing information about grant funding available through Children in Need. (Historically, Children in Need have not received many applications from within RBWM or awarded many grants and would therefore like to raise their profile across the area.).
During the second hour, Ray Emmans, WAM Get Involved, will be providing general tips and advice on writing good funding bids.
Attendees can come for either hour or both, but booking is essential either way.  There will also be an opportunity for groups to have a 15min one-to-one follow up appointment with Children in Need after the first hour of the workshop. These must be booked in advance, which can be done by emailing Colin Gault at info@wamgetinvolved .org.uk in the first instance.

Who should attend ?

The session is open to all voluntary and community groups, but will be particularly relevant to those working with, or looking to work with, children and young people aged 18 years and under, in the UK who are experiencing disadvantage through:

Illness, distress, abuse or neglect;
Any kind of disability (includes Autism, ADHD, Asperger’s)
Behavioural or psychological difficulties (this can include low level mental health that don’t reach the threshold for CAMHS)
Living in poverty or situations of deprivation
For further details about the eligibility criteria for funding through Children in Need or general information about the session itself, email

info@wamgetinvolved.org.uk

(Parking is available at car parks nearby, e.g. Hines Meadow, Crown Lane, Maidenhead, SL6 8QZ or Nicholsons Centre, Nicholsons Walk, Maidenhead, SL6 1LB. Please note charges apply)

Book here

Our mailing address is:
WAM Get Involved
27 Church Street
Slough, Berkshire SL1 1PL
United Kingdom

NEXT - MORE FREE TRAINING - THIS TIME - FROM THE BERKS FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE

FREE FIRE SAFETY AWARENESS TRAINING & ADULTS AT RISK TRAINING

A fire safety guide for all those involved with the care of adults in the community

This training package is designed to enable you to work with Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service to protect vulnerable adults living in the community from the risks of fire.
The training will cover:
The increased risk of fire to vulnerable adults living in their own homes
Who is more at risk
The protection measures and additional equipment that is available
When to make a referral to the Fire Service
How to make a referral to the Fire Service

Venue: Maidenhead Fire Station, 65 Blackmore Lane, Maidenhead, SL6 8RJ
Training date and time: Thursday 19th October 2017, 14:00 -15:30
Training for partner agencies
This training is a fire safety guide, for all those involved in the care of adults in the community. It lays down the minimum recommendations for the protection of adults, at risk from fire.
It is recognised that there are many considerations to be taken into account, when planning a ‘care package’ to allow someone to continue to live in the community, with extra support, to ensure their safety and wellbeing. If fire safety is not considered and the correct protection measures are not put in place, then the person may not be safe in their home. They will be at the greatest possible risk, should a fire occur.
As part of the partnership approach being adopted, Adult Social Care and Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) can supply the following resources to support agency partners, families and the end user.
This training package is designed, to enable you to work with Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service, to protect vulnerable adults, living in the community from the risks of fire. It has been designed for use by:
Domiciliary care workers
Carers
Adult Social Care staff
Staff in any other organisation involved in care of people in their own homes
The aims of this training package are to highlight:
The increased risk of fire to vulnerable adults living in their own homes
Who is more at risk
The protection measures and additional equipment that is available
When to make a referral to the Fire Service
How to make a referral to the Fire Service
To book your place visit our:

Eventbrite Page

NEXT SOME SCAMS:

Hi Jeff
I have now had 4 phone calls purporting to come from America, asking for my late husband.

I have been evasive and said he was not available, etc. but they have persisted.  I asked why he was being contacted and the caller said that it was in connection with his BT shares.

On the fourth call I admitted that he was no longer with us and asked why they were calling.  The answer was that there was someone attempting to buy shares in BT, at a very good price.

I know that all of his shares were sold after his death.

The caller wanted my e-mail or fax number, which I declined to supply.  However I asked that correspondence be sent to me regarding the offer. At no time did I intimate that I had moved and the caller was reluctant to agree to sending me anything as it would be sent from the US.

It will be interesting to see if the calls now cease.  This is the penalty that you pay when retaining your phone number when you move.

Regards

Susan

Hi Susan, nothing to do with retaining your number, they probably had no idea whether or not your late husband owned BT shares.  If he didn’t, no problem, you were still an ‘engager on the phone’.  They failed with BT shares, but they did get some information out of you - you are a widow.  You are therefore an ‘engager’.  Most of these types of calls are simply computer generated.  A computer generates random 9 figure numbers and dials them.  If they are not real telephone numbers, they don’t connect and are discarded.  If the number rings, it is picked up in a large call centre and a random member of the scamming team picks up the call.  They have a script, which has an answer for them, for all the possible answers you will give.
Alternatively, as I put out earlier this week, they simply purchase lists from online suppliers, of their target victims.

EITHER WAY, THE ANSWER IS JUST - PUT DOWN THE PHONE.

It may be mid-sentence. It is not rude, but shows you are not an engager and the number may then be discarded from the list.

WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT ENGAGE !

THINK ABOUT A CALL BLOCKER PHONE ?

NEXT - Malcolm has had the old - a parcel here for delivery to you SCAM !

It comes from DHL apparently.  All looking good with reference numbers etc - with An annoying  large flashing green box, saying CLICK HERE

DON’T DO IT !Hi
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: