Cookham Discussion Board
October 17, 2017, 01:20:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
14 October 2017 - Cantorum Choir-Autumn Concert

19 October 2017 - Open Minds The Teenagers' Debating Group

20 October 2017 - Classic Rock at Cookham Dean Cricket Club

20 October 2017 - Social Dance Club

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bogus Builder Fraud and Crime Update  (Read 106 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: September 22, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »

FIRST A REPORT HAS JUST COME OVER THE POLICE RADIO ABOUT A BOGUS BUILDER FRAUD IN ETON WICK.

Scant detail at the moment, as police officers are still on the scene with the Aggrieved and her husband.  Both are elderly and vulnerable.  The aggrieved is unwell and her husband suffers from Alzheimer’s.   Apparently some builders cold called at the door over the August bank Holiday, suggesting the aggrieved needed work on her gutters.  .  She agreed to the work and they charged £78.  That was several weeks ago.

Since then, they have been returned several times, saying she still owes them money for the job.  Once asking for a cheque for £6,000, then £12,000 To date, she has handed over £18,000.

They have returned this afternoon and demanded another £5,000 !  They threatened to take her to the Small Claims Court.  The men drive an unmarked white van and the spokesperson, is described as white, medium height, stocky build, fair hair, mid 30s, speaking with a generic accent and claiming to live in Windsor !  The van registration comes back to Ealing.

DARKER EVENINGS DRAWING IN !!!

It is that time of year again !  If you are going to be out and returning home after dark, what lights do you leave on using timers ?

SIMPLE - Go outside on a normal evening when all the family is home and take a look at your home.  That is how it must look if you are out and it is dark.  If you have kids - that is probably every light in the house !  Young people learnt very easily how to turn lights on - unfortunately - they have never adapted and learnt, how to turn lights off !!!

Think about a ‘Fake TV’ in an upstairs, front facing room.  It has an automatic dusk to dawn sensor and winter / summer settings.  It stays on automatically when it gets dark, for four hours in the summer and seven hours in the winter.  It simply uses coloured LEDs to flicker randomly - from the outside of a house looking exactly like someone is watching TV !  It even flickers around drawn curtains.  If someone rings the doorbell to see if someone is at home, you may be upstairs watching TV and choose not to answer the door !!!  So it is plug it in, turn it on and leave it.  I have attached a flyer.
LINK TO FAKE TV ON AMAZON

Think about a ‘Guard Cam’  Use one of these, to replace a security light.  They come in various price brackets - see the link to Amazon below.  They are security lights, with a hidden CCTV camera, which records in High Definition, colour.  It records every time the sensor is activated.  The brilliant part, is that if the light is activated at night, the floodlight comes on as it records - capturing the image in full high definition colour.  Normal CCTV, has problem with the dark even if it has an Infra Red facility.  The images are poorly lit, black and white and very low definition.  Guard Cams have new software - and depending upon the price - can transmit any activation footage directly to your mobile phone - you will be able to see in full HDD colour everyone that activates the sensor and approaches your home !!!  I have attached a flyer.
LINK TO GUARD CAM ON AMAZON

NEXT BIKE CRIME:

Some of you have been emailing to ask - what are we doing about Bike Crime in Windsor.  Tiia Stephens a Town Centre RBWM Community Warden, has been very busy - she sent me this, this morning:

Hi

Just to let you know, I have been doing a great deal of work, holding regular Bike Security Awareness sessions in the Windsor Leisure Centre Car Park.

I have been doing this regularly over the past 6 weeks.

What I have found, is that many bike owners are using Inadequate / unsuitable locks and I have been advising them about proper bike security and the sort of locks they really need and how to properly secure their bikes with them, handing out PC Liz Davidson’s advice flyer.

I have been holding these sessions twice a week.  I have been there, on these dates:

29th August 9.45-10.45 am
31st August 9.45-10.45 am

5th September 3-4pm
6th September 3-4pm
12th September 9.30-10.30 am
14th September 3-4 pm
19th September 9.45-10.45 am

These are the dates I plan to be there, for the near future:

Friday 22nd September  9.45-10.45 am
Tuesday 26th September 3-4pm
Friday 29th September 9.45-10.45 am

Wednesday 4th October 9.45-10.45 am
Friday 6th October 3-4 pm
Monday 9th October 3-4pm
Thursday 12th October 9.45-10.45 am

If anyone needs bike security advice, or just to talk to an RBWM Community Warden, please let them know that they can come along on those dates and chat to me

Tiia Stephens
Community Warden
Windsor Town Centre

Thanks Tiia.  We are taking bike crime really seriously and Tiia’s work, is in addition to all that being done by PCSO Liz Davidson our Town Centre Bike Crime SPOC.  Liz has worked tirelessly on this problem and has produced a ‘Protect your Bike Properly’ handout, which I have attached to this message.

GENERAL CRIME PREVENTION ADVICE

If you keep your bike - particularly valuable and expensive bikes in a shed / garage, you really need to protect them and the minimum you need is a wireless PIR sensor shed alarm.  These are really simple to operate and need no power or wiring.  You simply place them inside on a shelf facing the door.  As you go in or out, you simply fob them on / off.  If anyone else enters the shed, the sensor tracks movement and heat and then sound at 110 decibels.  In the early hours of the morning - that is really loud and thieves will immediately make off.  On Amazon they cost £6.29 !

LINK TO SHED ALARMS ON AMAZON

We also recommend these shed alarms for the back of vans, to protect tools left inside.  Imagine 110 decibels inside the back of a metal van !

If you have a really valuable bike - some are costing thousands - consider installing a tracker on the bike.  These are easily available now and do not cost a fortune, due advances in the technology involved.

ALSO - think about rep[lacing one of your security lights with a Guard Cam.  These look exactly the same as a security light, but contain a hidden HDD colour camera.  These come in a large range and some now can transmit wirelessly to your mobile phone !  The main advantage is that - particularly at night, if the beam is broken and the light and camera activated, the scene is floodlight and unlike traditional CCTV, which provides dim, grainy, black and white images, shows perfectly lit full colour HDD pictures.  Another advantage of these, is that opportunist thieves think they are just a security light and ignore them.  When they come on, they often look directly up at them and we then capture a full face image of them !

LINK TO GUARD CAMS ON AMAZON

NEXT AN OVERPAYMENT SCAM FROM PETER, WHICH HAPPENED TO HIM !!

Hi

We had a situation today, which was a scam that luckily, we spotted immediately.

As he is moving house, my son advertised a fridge freezer on Gum Tree.  He received a response, with an offer to buy it. The purchaser, claimed to be disabled.  She said she would pay for it and then arrange for it to be collected.

She asked for a Paypal account, into which to pay the money. He gave my wife's Paypal account details.

Later, we received an email allegedly from ‘Paypal’, with a statement, which appeared to show that the money had arrived.  It showed that a much larger amount had been sent with a request to return the balance via a "MoneyGram", including £40 in MoneyGram fees.

The email turned out to be a very good copy of a real Paypal receipt page.  However, when we logged into the real Paypal, it was immediately apparent that there was no credit showing.

The fraudsters were hoping we wouldn’t check and send the Moneygram to them.

We spoke to Paypal and sent their fraud department a copy of the page. We have also reported it, to Action Fraud.

Kind regards and keep up the good work.

Peter

Another warning to us all.  Always verify independently !

NEXT WE HAVE THE YOUNG UNEMPLOYED LADS, GOING DOOR TO DOOR SELLING HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS:

Hi

I live in Wootton Way, Maidenhead.  A smart young man rang my bell and knocked at my door.

I pointed to the - I do not buy at the door sticker on my door.  He replied - ‘I can't read’ !  So I read it to him,

He apologised and walked away.

Thought I should just let everyone know that they are out and about.

Marion

Just to remind everyone - the only items that can be sold door to door without a ‘Pedlar’s Certificate’, are books and food.  To go door to door selling anything else, they need a white Pedlars Certificate issued by a police force somewhere in the country.  To obtain a Pedlar’s Certificate, the applicant must pass a PNC check and be of ‘Excellent Character’.  This means, they have never been in trouble with the police.  If they have any form of criminal record, they will not be granted a Certificate.

Often, they will tell you, they are just out of prison and trying to work their way back into society and repay their debt.  The minute you hear that - you know, they are trading illegally.

What they may show you, is a yellow ‘Hawkers Licence’.  No such document exists.  It is a made up document they create in a computer and print out.  Please always use the same words - OUR NHW MOTTO

I AM SORRY, I DO NOT BUY GOODS AND SERVICES AT THE DOOR

No engagement and no conversation.  We are naturally courteous and polite.

It is too easy - when they ask - ‘I tried the house next door, but no-one answered’

To respond ‘Oh no, they are on holiday on Safari in Africa for the next month’.

OR

‘Oh no, they work in the city and never get home before 9 p.m.’ !

Simply firmly but politely, close the door.

CRIME:
WINDSOR:
CENTRAL WINDSOR:
centralwindsorneighbourhoodteam@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
20/9  1.30 p.m. / 4.30 p.m.  Alma Road.  Car rear passenger window smashed - 2 backpacks and their contents stolen.  These may be abandoned somewhere.  Where items are gone through and dumped, could give us a clue as to the offenders.  Can everyone keep their eyes open please.

ETON & ETON WICK:
Tomorrow - Saturday 23rd September, there is a Charity Eton Action Fare between 11 a.m. / 4 p.m. held at Eton College - Entrance Adults £2 / Children 50p.  It is taking place off Common Lane - just follow the signs.  Among many other exhibitors will be PCSO Ryan Jones from the Town Centre, assisted by PCSO Ricky Kaliq from the Windsor East (Datchet, Horton, Wraysbury & Old Windsor) Neighbourhood Engagement and geographic team.  Sgt Emma Pendry, who manages the Town Centre Team along with PC Pete Bullett also from the Town Centre, will try and attend after they have been on the Changing of the Guard.  Please go along, make yourself known and discuss any current issues you may have with them.

WINDSOR WEST
windsorwestnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
CLEWER, DEDWORTH & OAKLEY GREEN:
21/9  Thursday 6 p.m. / midnight.  Maidenhead Road.  Vamoose Burglary (where a car is stolen).  Thieves entered a rear garden, breaking down a fence panel between the allotments and the rear garden.  They then smashed a glass panel in the back door - USING KEYS LEFT IN THE LOCK TO UNLOCK THE DOOR.  Search of the whole house, including crawl spaces !  They were obviously looking for car keys - they found the spare set -  as valuable electrical items were ignored.  A SPARE SET OF HOUSE KEYS WAS FOUND AND USED TO OPEN THE FRONT DOOR TO LEAVE THE PROPERTY.  A grey BMW 330D index SK ** SFS was stolen from the driveway.

CLEWER EAST & PARK:
21/9  Thursday 10.30 a.m. / 12.45 p.m.  Keeler Close.  Car front headlight smashed with a stick, leaving glass all over the road.
20/9  Wednesday 7.45 p.m. / 9.10  Clewer Avenue.  Burglary.  The owner went out for a short time, locking the house securely.  Point of entry was the rear patio doors which were smashed.  A broom was used to push out  the shattered glass.  Untidy search - jewellery and cash stolen.

WINDSOR EAST
windsoreastnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
DATCHET, HORTON & WRAYSBURY:

OLD WINDSOR:
20/9  Wednesday 6 p.m. / 9.10 p.m.  Church Road.  Burglary  Offenders have accessed the house via the rear garden.  They then puched a fist sized hole in the upper part of a double glazed door - AND OPENED IT, USING THE KEY, WHICH HAD BEEN LEFT IN THE LOCK.  No search and nothing taken as they may have heard the owners inside the house and immediately made off.  While carrying out House to House enquiries, a neighbour did remember seeing someone climbing over fences at the rear about a month ago…!

‘You can play your part in helping to tackle the terrorist threat facing the UK’.

‘Everyone, from law enforcement, to businesses, to the general public, has a role to play in keeping the UK safe from terrorism and to effectively combat the threat.  Everyone needs to work together.  Our aim, is to encourage people to be more vigilant – ‘if you suspect it, report it’ – please report all suspicious activity to the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321’.

‘For more information follow this link: https://act.campaign.gov.uk/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: