Cookham Discussion Board
October 18, 2017, 11:21:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 October 2017 - Open Minds The Teenagers' Debating Group

20 October 2017 - Classic Rock at Cookham Dean Cricket Club

20 October 2017 - Social Dance Club

26 October 2017 - Pinder Hall AGM including free nibbles and Drinks

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crime Update Wednesday  (Read 108 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: October 04, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »

I PUT THESE MESSAGES OUT TO WINDSOR, BUT THE CRIME PREVENTION AND ADVICE IS USEFUL FOR EVERYONE !

3/10  Tuesday Crimp Hill, Old Windsor - Action Fraud.  The aggrieved discovered that someone had been accessing her bank account, using her debit card.  Nearly £4,500 had been spent.  When checking, it appears the items purchased had been delivered to her address, so presumably had been intercepted when delivered.  All this is now being investigated, but can everyone keep an eye on their various accounts - these ‘courier type frauds are on the increase.  If a fraudster has purchased an item in your name, they know what they have purchased and from whom and can therefore track delivery online and arrange to be outside the property to collect it as it is delivered.  As this become more prevalent, credit card companies / banks, are insisting that items purchased online, are dispatched to the address on the card, but we all know, these can be intercepted on delivery and -  we can buy gifts and cards as presents, delivered to other addresses.  BE ON YOUR GUARD.

2/10  Monday  8 p.m. / 8.50 p.m.  High Street, Wraysbury.  Attempted Burglary.  The owner received notification that their burglar alarm had been activated, while on holiday in America.  They immediately phoned a neighbour who went to investigate.  There were jemmy marks around the front door where thieves had tried to get in.  This triggered the alarm and they immediately made off.  No entry gained and nothing stolen.  Alarm technology has improved enormously over the last 5 years, in line with computer advances.  Alarms are now wireless, so no-one has to damage your decoration or put in ugly wiring everywhere.  They are also pet sensitive, so that you can have a dog / cat wandering about and still set the alarm.  They are zoned, so that you can set the ground floor when you go up to bed at night.  You no longer have to remember complicated number key codes for different functions - they are now operated by a fob - simply click them on or off, just as simply as opening / locking your car !  As a result of the improved technology, the price of an alarm has tumbled and in new houses is fitted as standard.  As with this case, technology has advanced and signals can be sent to your smartphone, anywhere in the world.  Footage from internal cameras and peripheral outside cameras can also be sent to your phone. So that you can see exactly what is going on at home if you are away !
2/10  Monday 8.30 a.m. / 9.25 p.m.  Coppermill Road, Wraysbury.  Burglary.  The owner went out and returned to find the front door open and all the lights on in the house.  Entry had been through a forced front door.  Untidy search of the whole house.  The thieves had even pulled out the dishwasher, washing machine and even the vents from the Cooker Hood.  Internal CCTV cameras had been destroyed as they sent pictured to the owner’s mobile phone as mentioned above.  His phone showed him the burglary at 7.38 p.m.  Not yet known if anything stolen, due to the mess, but it is believed they were looking for gold jewellery as electronic items were ignored.  These are not our usual opportunist thieves, they are targeting properties specifically for Gold jewellery.  Hence the much more detailed searched - pulling out washing machines etc. and we have also had lofts searched.  Gold jewellery is usually removed from banks before a weeding / family function and then put back a few days later, so news does spread about these functions.  PLEASE BE AWARE THAT GOLD JEWELLERY IS BEING TARGETED AT THE MOMENT AND TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS.

Just a reminder of a date for your diary:

Hi

Men's Matters has another significant date this month - the official launch of the Maidenhead drop-in. This is a little different as we will be holding a dialogue to encourage all the attendees to share their suggestions as to how we can reach older men who are socially isolated and lonely.

An invitation (for both men & women) to a dialogue and the launch of Men's Matters Maidenhead.

Thursday 19th October 12 noon to 2pm Desborough Suite, Maidenhead Town Hall, St Ives Road, Maidenhead SL6 1RF

Join us for a discussion in small groups on how to reach older, socially isolated men.

The dialogue will be followed by a buffet lunch.

This is a FREE event but please reserve your place through Eventbrite:

www.mensmattersevent.eventbrite.co.uk

Men's Matters has launched a FREE weekly drop-in for older men.

It takes place every Wednesday from 2pm to 4pm at the Maidenhead Community Centre, 42 York Road, Maidenhead SL6 1SH. For further details please visit our website:

www.mensmatters.org.uk

Or call Paul on 07923 494744
Thank you to our partners for supporting this event

NEXT - Library Opening Hours,

Hi

Can you circulate the Library opening ours for us please ??

I have attached a flier, setting out all the details.

Deborah Wickham
Operational Support and Housing Lead
Library and Resident Services
Communities Directorate
Maidenhead Library, St Ives Road, Maidenhead SL6 1QU
Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead

tel: 01628 683800
Deborah.wickham@rbwm.gov.uk

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/

Follow us on Twitter: @RBWM
Like us on Facebook

MAIDENHEAD CENTRAL:
maidenheadcentralnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
3/10 - 4/10  Tuesday 4.30 p.m. / Thursday 7 a.m.  Yard, Vicus Way.  Thieves have jumped over a fence to access the site and then forced a window to access a store room.  Whacker plate, disc cutter and hydraulic breaker gun stolen.
2/10  Monday 8 a.m. / 5.30 p.m.  Station Car Park.  Locked up bike stolen from Station Car Park.  A black, Carrera Crossfire 2.

RIVERSIDE & BELMONT:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

MAIDENHEAD WEST
maidenheadwestnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BISHAM, COOKHAM, HURLEY, THE WALTHAMS, LITTLEWICK GREEN & KNOWL HILL:
4/10  Wednesday 7 a.m.  Farm, Mill Lane, Cookham.  Offenders have cut the lock on a farm gate and dumped loads of rubbish - mainly building material.

PINKNEYS GREEN & FURZE PLATT:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

MAIDENHEAD SOUTH
maidenheadsouthnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BOYN HILL, COX GREEN & WOODLANDS PARK:
3/10  Tuesday midnight / 0.30 a.m. Fane Way.  CAR ENTERED BY UNKNOWN MEANS - handbag and contents stolen from the passenger foot well.

OLDFIELD & BRAY:
3/10 - 4/10  Tuesday 7 p.m. / Wednesday 8.30 a.m.  Springfield Park.  Car badly keyed.

‘You can play your part in helping to tackle the terrorist threat facing the UK’.

‘Everyone, from law enforcement, to businesses, to the general public, has a role to play in keeping the UK safe from terrorism and to effectively combat the threat.  Everyone needs to work together.  Our aim, is to encourage people to be more vigilant – ‘if you suspect it, report it’ – please report all suspicious activity to the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321’.

‘For more information follow this link: https://act.campaign.gov.uk/

P.S.

FIRST: from Mark,

Morning
I’ve just been hearing about a scam where if you go to sell a car one of the prospective buyers will distract you whilst another will spray oil in your exhaust to make it smoke when you switch the engine on. They will then say the car is faulty and try and knock you down in price. Maybe worth a mention?
Kind regards,

Mark

NEXT:

Hi - I had a suspicious call today.

I was phoned today by someone claiming to be the loft insulation expert for this area.  I was asked to fix an appointment for someone to inspect my loft and recommend the upgrading of the insulation by a new spray on method.  I asked for a typical cost of such a treatment but my request was refused.  It all sounded like a scam to me.

Alec

If you get one of these cold sales calls, simply put the phone down and do not become an ‘engager’ !  many of you will get similar calls from security companies making all sorts of incentives to book an appointment.

Same rule applies to all cold callers, whether at the door or on the phone:

I do not buy goods or services at the door - or on a cold telephone call !

NEXT from John,

Hi - this scam just came through on my phone.

A text purportedly from Apple - Your ID is due to expire today click on this link to update and prevent your account being closed.

John

DON’T DO IT

NEXT:

Hi

I  thought I would send this to you, to warn other members that I received this email out of the blue from a 'Robert Worton' who purports to work for ‘Nat West’.

This is clearly a scam

Feel free to re-use as necessary

Regards

Vince & Lynne

The email asks how his family is doing…..it then goes on to say that someone with a very similar name to theirs, who was a chemical consultant contractor with Royal Dutch, has died in a fatal car crash, leaving a huge amount of money - £9,649,400.00.  He left no will and as Vince has the same last name, he may be entitled to a share……

You understand how this works.  There was a lot of gruesome information about the crash and how the whole family were killed.

If Vince is happy to work with him re the transfer of this money - respond immediately !

DON’T DO IT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: