Cookham Discussion Board
December 15, 2017, 06:33:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
16 December 2017 - Christmas Carols Around the Tree

16 December 2017 - Cantorum Choir Candlelight Christmas

23 December 2017 - Copas Christmas Fayre Collection Day 2017

25 December 2017 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight at Holy Trinity

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: COOKHAM SOCIETY 2018 DESIGN AWARD  (Read 930 times)
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« on: November 16, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »

The Society’s Design Award for 2018 will cover new building projects, extensions and landscaping schemes in the Parish of Cookham, which have been completed by 31st December 2017.   The Award is given to projects which enhance the visual environment and are in keeping with the Cookham Village Design Statement. If you would like to make a nomination for the Award please ask Pablo Dubois (pablo@dubois.me.uk) for a Nomination Form,  which should be completed and returned to him by 31 December 2017, either by email or to
Regency Cottage, The Pound, Cookham SL6 9QD

CLIPPER

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »

What a really nice idea..... Grin

However all I can think of is those ugly buildings that have been approved - such as the one up by the car park in terry's lane - where it looks like the Golf Club house - yet, the lovely old house just on the bridge has planning approved to build yet another 'Ascot looking Home'... to mimic the other ugly house built on the old Dean Grange plot and lastly, the one that looks like a Lego house at the start of Winter Hill, where it replaced the part tiled/thatched cottage that would / should of starred in Midsomer Murders!

Losing the Cookham charm slowly.... Undecided

Watchman

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:27:22 PM »

... such as the one up by the car park in terry's lane ...

Do you mean the curved "Ascot Grand Stand" glass monstrosity that is lit up like a Christmas tree every night since the building was completed?

It's nowt to do with the Golf Course ... more like a beach hut ensemble in Baha California overlooking the Pacific !!

Dreadful construction.... but what the hell ... give it an award for sheer audacity!
fision

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »

Did you both object to the planning applications?

You do realise that is someones home and you are both being disrespectful towards them.
Paris

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »

How is it being disrespectful by not liking the look of something? We don't all like the same things and really it is the planners at fault for allowing buildings that are not in keeping with their surroundings to be built.  In essence, there is nothing wrong with any of them, if they were in a different setting, it's the fact they are in a semi rural area and stick out like sore thumbs that prompts people to air their opinions in a negative fashion.
Watchman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »

Did you both object to the planning applications?

You do realise that is someones home and you are both being disrespectful towards them.

I did object, yes.

And to repeat ... it is a hideous monstrosity, especially sitting beside the elegant Edwardian red brick house next door
and the large and gorgeous 30's built brick residence (with turret) behind it.

That is my POV, and I'll stand by it.
If you find that disrespectful, then there's nowt I can do about it.
fision

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »

I understand it may not to be your taste, but it passed the planning and was built, but calling someones house a monstrosity on a forum isn't particularly pleasant - it's just trolling. You obviously feel so strongly that you'd say it to the owners face how you feel about their house, and not just post it on a forum.

You are entitled to your opinion - everyone is, but sometimes they are like farts - we all have them, but not everyone wants to hear them in public :-)
Watchman

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 10:08:26 AM »

I see that you would get on famously with Prince Charles - NOT!
He too expresses his opinions on architecture (somewhat like your farts - but he does it openly and in public) by describing buildings
as monstrosities and carbuncles on the landscape.
No difference here - only mine is a humble expression on a single dwelling amid some aesthetically pleasing houses across a beautiful landscape.

And by the way, I am not a troll.
Only someone who is not afraid to express my opinion.
My views and comments were expressed at the time of asking - and are in the public domain.

As Clipper and Paris have both intimated .... Losing the Cookham charm slowly ...
And if someone described my house as a monstrosity (whether to my face or on a forum, it matters not),
I'd take a closer look at what could be done to improve it aesthetically.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:48:56 AM by Watchman » Logged
CLIPPER

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »

Its a shame that the planners are not allowed to object on 'taste' !

I just feel VERY sorry for the Cookham's, seeing the character of the area being eroded by very poor design. Its a village, and used to have a really nice feel to it.. now its starting to look like a stage set for 'The Only Way Is Essex' !

Would it really cost any more money to build something that blends in and enhances the surrounding area - and with that, I don't mean a Golf Club House ; )

Each to their own... but when the awards get handed out, consideration should be given to the character and how well it sits within the area - but that's MPO.   
Watchman

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »

I honestly do not believe that the Planners have got "taste" when it comes to approving dwelling constructions.
Certainly not in and around the Cookhams.
Which highlights the oft used expression... "It's not what you know but who you know" - when dealing with the RBWM planning dept.

CLIPPER

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 02:41:22 PM »

Well said Watchman!

I wonder at times if these people (planners and Cllrs) lack 'common sense' !

Cookham is a village - not a sprawled out part of Maidenhead or even Bournend (I see Bournend postings on this board now). Its really sad to see how fast things can change, not for the better either.

I also noticed that the Doggy Day Care by the Tack Shop is well established now, with concrete thrown down, lots of cars parked up... and horrible urban fencing and random building placed on site. But no planning?

Wonder how long it will be before housing goes on... and then that's another field ear-marked for a few rows of houses... and our planners and Cllrs are too short sighted to see... and by that point it will be too late because the precedent is already set !

no normal 'House Holder' could / would dare to do such a thing.... so how do these land owners get away with it ?

BurtieBurton

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »

I just feel VERY sorry for the Cookham's, seeing the character of the area being eroded by very poor design. Its a village, and used to have a really nice feel to it.. now its starting to look like a stage set for 'The Only Way Is Essex' !

Really? I mean, seriously? Do you realise how ludicrous that whole statement sounds?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: