Cookham Discussion Board
August 19, 2018, 07:33:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
18 August 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

23 August 2018 - Cookham - Flood Response Training

27 August 2018 - Garden Open - St Timothee, Maidenhead

1 September 2018 - Cookham Regatta

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookham on TV  (Read 826 times)
Birdman

« on: January 26, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »

Don't forget Cookham features on the Village of the Year programme at 3pm this afternoon.

And of course it is the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend.
Birdman

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »

Oh well, runner up on the week, but it was close I guess. There was a lot of emphasis on the river whilst more about the historical church, the downhill derby, numerous village summer events and community activities etc might have made the difference.
number1china

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:20:10 AM »

It was lovely to see Cookham Village and the Stanley Spencer Gallery featured on VOTY yesterday and good to see Cookham had been captured in glorious weather too.
Whilst I appreciate that Swan Upping and vintage boat restoration may be unique to our village, they arenít really accessible to the community at large (I didnít even know this boat yard existed).
Moreover, it was a shame that our segment did not feature any of the wonderful community led initiatives that benefit so many in the Cookham community, for example, the wonderful Queens award recipient: Elizabeth House Cookham; the army of volunteer drivers and office minders who make running Cookham Voluntary Services possible; Liz Kewantes for developing and maintaining the online hub of our community: Cookham.com etc.  In addition, there was no mention of other unique annual events such as Rock The Moor and the Cookham Regatta.  Not even a shout out for good old fashioned Annual Scout Fair, Christmas Fayre etc. just to name a few.
I appreciate the river is a large part of what makes our village so desirable but canít help feeling that we missed the opportunity to feature and thank the organisations (and their many volunteers) that so many within our community can thankfully depend on.
Paris

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:12:24 AM »

Perhaps they focused on the river so much because the rest of the Cookhams are getting to be rather urban thanks to all the new buildings, and modern shop fronts that have lost the comfy homely village feel.

Also don't forget TV is a visual thing and if events aren't going on at the time of filming they're probably not going to get a mention because there is no way to demonstrate what marvellous events they are.

Excellent though to make a runner up slot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:14:08 AM by Paris » Logged
Watchman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »

Eleven minutes of actual air time was never going to be enough to capture the beauty and the allure of Cookham.
Whilst Stanley Spencer and Swan Upping do play a major part in the village (and a wee bit of boat building), there
was hardly anything else mentioned (refer Birdman and number1china's posts) to convey the definitive essence of Cookham.

Whilst happy at Cookham being on television, I was nevertheless disappointed in the programme itself (boringly repetitive in places).

And no, this is not sour grapes, as I did think that the village in Sussex were worthy winners - a place I plan on visiting this summer!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: