Cookham Discussion Board
August 19, 2018, 07:31:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
18 August 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

23 August 2018 - Cookham - Flood Response Training

27 August 2018 - Garden Open - St Timothee, Maidenhead

1 September 2018 - Cookham Regatta

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookham Station platform  (Read 1555 times)
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator

« on: January 31, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »

from the Cookham Society
Are you one of the unfortunate 60 or so commuters who shiver every morning in and around the temporary shelter on the platform at Cookham station? If so you'll be pleased to know that The Cookham Society is putting pressure on GWR to provide at least a temporary building while remedial work is carried out.
If anyone can take a photograph of the sorry scene at 6.49am one morning we could use it on facebook and other publicity to help the cause.
aj

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:36:32 PM »

I'm not sure I'd be holding my breath waiting for GWR to do anything here, unfortunately. The apparent total lack of any progress in remediating what was apparently dry rot in the main station building is also hardly surprising given that GWR's franchise will be up for renewal in March 2020, having been extended by a year by the government at the end of last year.
With Crossrail handling an increasing amount of local traffic, and fully electrified, the Henley, Marlow and Greenford branch lines are unlikely to be remotely profitable, requiring increasingly old diesel units which GWR will not require elsewhere, and which would require expensive maintenance. It's probable some fairly hefty government subsidies are going to be required to keep these lines running. An overheard conversation between two GWR staff a few months ago seems to indicate that GWR would like to close the branch line(s) at some point, although of course by this point it's possible that we will no longer have a Tory government in power and that therefore subsidies might be more readily forthcoming.

At any event, I fear that shivering on the platform is likely to continue indefinitely. Of course, Marlow and Furze Platt are hardly well-endowed with passenger comforts either...
aj

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:12:32 PM »

After writing that I did a bit more digging to see what the railway professionals actually think is going to happen with CrossRail. This link is interesting. It implies that there may well be no stopping GWR services from Reading to Paddington on the relief lines, so all stopping services will be managed by CrossRail. It seems likely then that at Maidenhead there might be no fast trains to Paddington after CrossRail. Consequently the branch lines would be almost completely isolated from the rest of GWR's operations. Interesting....

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2017/one-of-the-family-crossrails-transition-to-being-a-tube/
paddo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:04:44 PM »

Yes its possible the relief/slow lines will be taken over by TFL/ CrossRail it would make sense that they operate independently of GWR. However where do you get the idea there will be no fast services stopping at Maidenhead? Iím sorry but I think you are talking utter tosh.
aj

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »

While I would hope to be proven incorrect, as I understand it, the problem is the Heathrow Express service which will remain running on the main lines. It was considered desirable to move these services to the relief lines but this is not practical due to the congestion associated with a larger number of stopping services (all stations) that CrossRail will bring.
So then the main lines are looking quite congested as well, since all GWR traffic will probably travel on them exclusively. Sure, there's less congestion beyond Hayes, but traffic still has to slot into the more crowded Hayes->Paddington sector. It's possible that some fast services *might* be preserved from Maidenhead, but having a train dwell on a busy line where you then have to mesh that service in beyond Hayes will be more challenging, since any delay at the stopping station(s) introduces unpredictability on the arrival time at the Hayes sector. (e.g a disabled passenger requiring boarding assistance).
There is also the complication that CrossRail will run to Heathrow, making timetable coordination with HEX increasingly complex (there will be more services than the current Heathrow Connect, I believe).
So I understand coming up with an integrated GWR/CrossRail/HEX timetable is proving quite fraught and the tradeoff *may* be direct services from Maidenhead, so that all trains on the main lines are non-stop at least from Reading to Paddington. This makes coordination a good deal easier since there's more room to make up time over that longer distance. It would be even more of a challenge to allow Slough stops, but Slough is arguably a larger interchange (the Windsor line and bus transport), so you can see it'll be difficult.
Also, by the way, there's quite a bit of freight traffic to fit in somewhere. These lines are becoming very crowded and CrossRail adds significantly to the challenge.

Unfortunately passengers are usually the last to know. It came as a surprise to many when the Greenford line was reduced to a West Ealing-based shuttle service and then the direct services between Paddington and Bourne End and also Henley<->Paddington ceased - I don't recall any of that exactly being trumpeted at stations via notices.
Watchman

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »

My commuting days are well in the past - so this is an observation of the practicalities.

Question:
Who would want a polluting diesel line from Maidenhead to Marlow once the entire CrossRail /GWR track has been electrified??
Unless of course, CrossRail/GWR have plans to electrify the Marlow Donkey's entire track as well - at vast cost?
Does anyone know whether there are any plans for this in the pipeline?

If not, and if the issue is being dodged by the powers-that-be, then my suspicion would be that the Marlow Donkey's days are numbered.
Thomas Lee
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »

Like Watchman, my commuting days are behind me.

As a Cookham resident, I'd love to have some means of a train from here to London. If that means changing at Maidenhead, fine. Of course, I'd prefer electic, but the cost of that is such that is just doesn't ever seem likely. But I'd prefer a continuing service to the alternative.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: