Cookham Discussion Board
June 18, 2018, 10:05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Kings Arms Cookham  (Read 1383 times)
monty

« on: March 03, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »

I have just tried to book a table at the Kings Arms for Sunday 4th March m- impossible they have now got some automated booking system a case of 1 for this 2 that mobile number, time. I put time in they got it wrong, why oh why can you not speak to someone and book a table like normal people. If thei is progress god help us, we will not be going there again.
tudorrose

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »

Monty, try booking on line through Open Table. Really quick and efficient for most pubs or restaurants I have always found.
monty

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »

I understand what you are saying but I would just like to someone to say - yes table for 2 at 1.30 name and telephone number -m not difficult but too much trouble when you can put it all on computer, what happened to personal touch -not important any more I gather. Perhaps I am to old to accept this computerised world - sad
BurtieBurton

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »

I imagine it's used when the bar/restaurant staff aren't around to take the call - means they can spend time with customers. We had a lovely dinner at the King's Arms the other evening. Staff couldn't have been friendlier despite the snow meaning they would get home late, and food was great value for money. As TudorRose said - opentable or bookatable are excellent for making reservations and cover most places in Cookham.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:01:32 AM by BurtieBurton » Logged
monty

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »

That's all very well - opentable or whatever n- but I am not good enough on computer to book things or buy things, we are not all computer wize kids. I am 75 my use of computer is very  limited. I have been going to Kings Arms for years and I know how good the food is and the staff so I was  most surprised to get a machine trying to take my booking and then it got the time wrong.
monty

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:38:56 PM »

I have tried  contact The Kings Arms regarding the booking thing but too no availe  no contact site , no email obviously they do no want to discuss itI think it is very sad they do not consider their older customers who do not all have computer skills- like me  Huh that is life like me useless
Roger

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »

Monty you can always contact their head office. Mitchell’s & Butler.
Watchman

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »

I have tried  contact The Kings Arms regarding the booking thing but too no availe  no contact site , no email obviously they do no want to discuss itI think it is very sad they do not consider their older customers who do not all have computer skills- like me  Huh that is life like me useless

You are absolutely not useless Monty.

Like me, you are an honorary Luddite whose knowledge of "hi-tech" stuff tends to be rather limited!
I personally tackle it with extreme caution together with a pinch of salt!
You may well be frustrated ( as we all get when asked to press option 1 then pause indefinitely before being asked to press option 4 and so on)
and angry, like myself, when faced with this hi tech jargon of speaking to a robotic voice directing you every
which way ... before running you into a dead end.   It happens all the time.

All these restaurants need is a friendly human voice answering the phone to take bookings.
I'm sure 90 percent of other restaurants have this system - so why not The King's Arms?

I'd take Roger's advice and call Mitchell and Butler's HO in Birmingham.
They can be reached on Tel: +44 (0)121 498 4000  or Fax: +44 (0)121 233 2246.

But do be warned ... they too might well have a robot voice guiding you through to no mans land !!

It could well be a case of heads they win tails you lose!

Chin up!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:48:41 PM by Watchman » Logged
monty

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 09:22:00 AM »

Thank you for comments Watchman, makes me feel a lot better and not such an idiot. I don't even do onine banking in case I bankrupt the Bank f England. There must be  a lot people like me born into an age where a telephone was a novelty and yet now they expect everyone to be computer literate. Thank you one again for your comments
Watchman

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »

No worries, monty.

Ironically only this morning I "suffered" at the hands of the phantom robotic voice.
My clothes dryer packed up last night so I called the manufacturer this morning on an 0333 number.

SEVEN minutes later, after listening to and following the robotic voice commands to press 1/2/3/4 or 5 ...
I was finally connected to a human Customer Service voice, who advised me, after 75 seconds, that the
manufacturer had stopped making spare parts for the particular model (7 years old) and there was nothing
she could do to help !!

Seven minutes pressing buttons (there were six options to select from!) and 75 seconds to be told they couldn't assist me!!

Now THERE'S technology for you!
monty

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »

I am glad I am not alone in this high tec world.
lizzyk

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 02:36:37 PM »

I ordered a dishwasher on line from John Lewis last week. This morning I had someone confirming the delivery on the phone. The next thing I had was an email telling they had cancelled my order for some unknown reason! Back to square one.
BurtieBurton

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »

Good news everyone. The King's Arms hasn't abandoned the personal touch at all.

I felt rather sad reading your comments, so I phoned the King's Arms, whereupon I was offered two options:

"press 1 to book a table, or alternatively press 2 to speak to someone in the restaurant"

I pressed "2", and after a short wait spoke to a very pleasant member of the team who took my table booking.

I'd suggest that they prefer people to book via the automated "option 1" as it means staff can spend more time with customers.

But by pressing option 2, I promise you'll speak to a real life person.

Hope that helps.  Smiley
monty

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:49:17 PM »

Thank you for that information,perhaps I will try again, I do like the Kings Arms but this really did throw me asI had not had that problem before Wink
BurtieBurton

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »

No problem, glad to help.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: