Cookham Discussion Board
June 19, 2018, 07:28:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate Change  (Read 520 times)
Birdman

« on: March 02, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »

Very topical at the moment - the warming of the planet!

But on Wednesday next week, at Cookham Dean WI Hall, Wild Cookham is hosting a talk on our changing environment.

Climate change tends to dominate the news, but rapid land use change is also having a direct impact on the future of important wildlife habitats in the UK. The talk will focus on recent work at the University of Reading on the likely consequences of climate change for the future of nature conservation in the UK within the context of this rapidly changing land use.

Our speaker, Dr Geoffrey Griffiths, has over almost 30 years experience in landscape ecology and natural resource management from many parts of the world.

The presentation starts promptly at 7:30pm and whilst entrance is free, a donation is invited to cover costs. Signing up at https://www.meetup.com/WildCookham/events/247541214/ helps us plan for numbers. See you there.
Watchman

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:37:34 AM »

Is the climate REALLY changing??
Or is this fallacy of a theory, which has never been conclusively proven, been spectacularly blown apart?

The ozone holes at the two poles are proven to be closing/closed (six years ago they were wide open!) ;
the freezing weather these past few months; the expectant floods...can we honestly say that climate change
(viz., rise in temperatures across the globe) is at the heart of the problem - or are these trends cyclical ?
I remember extremely cold winters back in the '60's through to today - and extremely hot summers in the same period!
So when did "climate change" raise it's ugly head ?!

I would much rather we focused on the plastic scourge that is currently blighting our lives, the seas, the wild life and the planet in general.
Now this is a serious problem.

I finally realised a few weeks ago that almost everything I touch concerning just food presentation alone is plastic.

Supermarkets don't help by supplying thin plastic bags in which to put your vegetables, plastic cups for coffee/tea, plastic bags
(okay you pay a token five pence for each one - but it IS plastic) for putting your purchases in; plastic containers for olives etc.,
you name it, plastic has its stamp on it.

Now that IS a problem we should confront .... not the fictitious climate change.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:39:18 AM by Watchman » Logged
Birdman

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »

Did you come to the meeting to find out, Watchman?
Watchman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »

Afraid I didn't on this occasion, Birdman.

I have however, been to three meetings, one at the Science Museum last year, during the past 2 years where
'eminent climate change scientists' spoke - and I am yet to be convinced of the merits of their "findings".

Whilst I will admit that humans have contributed in a small way (cfc emissions) towards 'climate change',
the emphasis that is placed on humanity as a whole being the sole cause, I do find ridiculous.

Repetitive cyclical climatic conditions over decades, centuries even - very hot summers and very cold winters giving cause to move
air currents up and down latitudes giving rise to excessive rainfall and floods; earthquakes and tsunamis; the melting
and then the reformation of polar ice caps, the opening and then natural resealing of the atmosphere ... all in my humble opinion,
are Natures way of redressing the planet.
Q. Do we know what climate conditions were like when dinosaurs inhabited the earth?
    Or when the ice age occurred?
    Or when the meteor struck the planet destroying all form of life and vegetation?
    How can an assessment be made over a miniscule 30 year period when the earth has been in existence for millions of years?

These are not changes as such, but with memory lapses on the part of the cabal of 'scientists' who 'selectively study'
this phenomena, the 'results' are easily adapted, adopted and interpreted as the norm -
viz., let's put a label on it and call it climate change.

The serious crusade, however, should be directed at the use of plastics.
Now here is a visible danger to all life on earth which ought to be banned indiscriminately.
Bring back the re-cycled paper bag and the glass bottle !

Apologies for the lengthy epistle!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:25:26 AM by Watchman » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: