Cookham Discussion Board
July 18, 2018, 09:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 July 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

22 July 2018 - Colonel Garrett Cup Cricket Competition

24 July 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 July 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Info for Desmond Atkinson  (Read 6002 times)
Sonia

« on: April 29, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »

Sonia here - the new Cookham reporter for the Maidenhead Advertiser.
I have heard that Desmond Atkinson from Cookham (School Lane) passed away last week in hospital at the age of 90+.
I have some basic information, but if anyone knew him, could they give me a shout? It would be nice to do a tribute in the paper as he was the founder of the Cookham and Bourne End Probus Club. Cheers! Remember to keep me up to date about any issues/events that you would like in the paper Smiley
Jo Jo

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »

Great to hear from you Sonia. I hope you enjoy writing the Cookham Notebook.
Phil Holdford
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »

Mr Atkinson was a true gentlemen and my friend.
I assisted him in his garden in school lane since 1986. I was there every Thursday morning for 22 years.
He was a man of intelligence and great wit.
We had challenging discussions at "T" break on a wide range of subjects most weeks.
Although he was 93 when he passed away he always kept up with the times by installing sky and the internet which although he did not fully understand he never gave up with it, where I perhaps would.
He loved his garden; especially his Dahlias and the vegetables were amazing.
He was a generous man and supported many charities and only a few years ago used to go in the house to talk to somebody needing help with his Samaritans support.
He was a dedicated member of the church and used to go on a Thursday morning before I turned up at 0830.
He will be sadly missed but it was a privilege to be his friend and to learn from such a man.

Phil Holdford
PK
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:19:41 PM »

Many years ago, Desmond was a very good Dame in the Cookham Pantomime and I believe that he produced some of the pantomimes.
Sonia

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »

Cheers for that guys. Phil - thank you for your great comments about Mr Atkinson.
If it is not to late - I will try and add this info into the story tomorrow. Just so that you know for when the paper comes out - the obituary will be on a page before the Cookham page.
Regards, Sonia x
Cookham Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »

Nice article, although he lived in Cookham Village, not Cookham Dean.  Also, he was 93 when he died, not 94 as written in the article.

He was a lovely chap and will be missed.
Sonia

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »

Thank you for letting me know, I apologise for that. Glad you liked the article
carolfarrell
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 08:36:47 AM »

sonia, please can you email me the article you wrote on my father!?
many thanks,
carol
Halls Corner
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »

Hi Carol

I made a copy - I will put one through the door for you.

Andrew
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: