Cookham Discussion Board
July 20, 2018, 08:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
22 July 2018 - Colonel Garrett Cup Cricket Competition

24 July 2018 - Cookham Medical Centre Closed for Training - 12.30-6.30pm

27 July 2018 - National Trust Bat Walk

28 July 2018 - Live@the Church

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More advice about scam telephone calls !  (Read 474 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: April 09, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »

Protection Advice:

1. Listen to your instinct: just because someone knows your basic details, such as your name and address, it doesn’t mean they are genuine.

2. Stay in control: always question cold callers: always contact the companies directly, using a known email or phone number.

3. Don’t be rushed or pressured, into making a decision: a legitimate company, will be prepared to wait, whilst you verify information.

If you have been affected by this, or any other type of fraud, report it to Action Fraud by visiting www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040.

NEXT:  We have just celebrated the end our first ‘Food Academy Course’.  We take on 12 students from years 9, 10 & 11, who may lack self-confidence, are underperforming or may simply benefit from an intensive cooking course.  The course last 7 weeks.  Each session lasts three hours.  The students are supported by a team of well trained volunteers along with army chefs - as this initiative is being funded by ‘The Army Covenant’.  The students come from West Windsor and army families.  Also attending each week, are agencies and partners from RBWM who deal with youth issues - drugs, domestic violence, CSE, sexting and online safety.

At the end of the course, the students have to put the skills they have learnt, to cook a 3 course Banquet for over 75 VIPs.  The first banquet was held in the NCO’s Mess in the Household Cavalry’s Combermere Barracks.  The Household cavalry made every effort to show the young students how much we appreciated their work and commitment.  The evening was a celebration of young people, who often get a bad press.  The young students did all the cooking.  We were all entertained by The Windsor Boys School Orchestra and the Choir from The Windsor Girls School Choir.  We were all waited on the a group of Police Cadets who had been trained to do a ‘fan service’ !  Attendees were The Mayor Cllr John Lenton and the Mayoress Margaret Lenton, Lt Colonel Ed Hayward and RCM Tom Horton from the Household Cavalry, Sarah Scrope, the High Sheriff of Berkshire, The Deputy Chief Constable John Campbell, The Assistant Chief Constable - who was our local Area Commander some years ago and like to keep in touch with us - Tim De Meyer, the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner, all the west Windsor Borough Councillors, Gill Labrum, the head of The Windsor Girls School, heads of all our local youth agencies and partner organisations - and parents.  At the end of a brilliant black tie dinner, the students were awarded certificates and medals.  The Chief Constable Francis Habgood was unable to attend, but did attend one of the sessions, to record an intro, to a promotional video we had made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuAV5Pei4VI

Our next course starts on the 16th April - sorry folks - we have a full list of students.  For the next banquet, we are working with the Coldstream Guards at the Victoria Barracks, who have been really helpful and supportive !!!

This is an initiative that is easily transferrable into the community.  It can easily be organised and managed, by a local community group.  If you feel you would like to run one of these in your community, to benefit young people there, just let me know and we will assist you, in any way we can.

NEXT a message from Colin Robertson from OPAF - The Older person’s Advisory Forum:

Hi

Can you publicise our next meeting ?

Dear OPAF members,

I think this must be the coldest period at this time of year, for some years and as we get older, I think we notice it more than we used to !

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday 17th April in the Desborough Theatre, Maidenhead Town Hall, from 10:30 am until 12:30 pm.

The Agenda will be issued shortly and will include a talk on Social Prescribing, a new concept that should be of considerable interest to us all.

Hope to see lots of you at the meeting (plus friends of course)!

Sincerely,

Colin Robertson.

OPAF Webmaster and Membership Officer

If you would like to attend and be put on OPAFs contact list - please email Colin at:
info@opaf.org.uk

MAIDENHEAD CENTRAL:
maidenheadcentralnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
7/4 - 8/4  Saturday 5 p.m. / Sunday 9.50 a.m.  Restaurant, Queen Street.  Burglary.  Entry through a small window beside the front door.  Float from the till, 3 charity boxes and a mobile phone stolen.

RIVERSIDE & BELMONT:
7/4  Saturday 1.45 p.m.  Ray Mill Road East.  Burglary.  Entry through forced and smashed rear patio door.  Untidy search of the bedrooms.  The offenders left through a kitchen window.  Cash, paperwork and jewellery stolen.  A bank, withdrawal has already been made.

MAIDENHEAD WEST
maidenheadwestnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BISHAM, COOKHAM, HURLEY, THE WALTHAMS, LITTLEWICK GREEN & KNOWL HILL:
5/4 - 6/4  Thursday 6 p.m. / Friday 7 a.m.  Layby on the A4.  Trailer parked up, entered and searched.  Perfume stolen.

PINKNEYS GREEN & FURZE PLATT:

MAIDENHEAD SOUTH
maidenheadsouthnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BOYN HILL, COX GREEN & WOODLANDS PARK:
6/4 - 7/4  Friday 10 p.m. / Saturday 9 a.m.  Cricket Club, Highway Road.  Burglary.  Entry via forced front window.  Shutter to the bar forced open and then an unsuccessful attempt to open the till.  Nothing appears to have been stolen, but a lot damaged.
7/4  Saturday .30 a.m.  Clare Road.  Attempted theft of a moped parked outside a house.  The owner looked out and saw a group of youths around her husbands moped and shouted at them.  As they were disturbed, they drove off at speed.

OLDFIELD & BRAY:

MEMBERS’ COMMENTS

Re SCAM telephone calls - I have had this in from Simon:

Hi

Another thing occurring, is scam international calls- to mobile numbers- from places like Mali and Nauru, or similar. I've had some. I think it’s mentioned by Action Fraud in messages.

It’s a premium line call scam, people ring back and then get caught with massive bills, as the system traps them on the line.

The message is; always check the number on the screen; if it’s unknown or international,-do not answer- let it ring out or cut it. Then use the phone blocker, to block the number.

Best wishes,

Simon,

NEXT:

Hi

This last week, I have received 2 messages purporting to come from Paypal, saying that sums of just over £100, have been taken from my account and that, if I have not authorised such payments, I should click on the link in the message, to cancel them.

As it happens, I do not have a Paypal account, so obviously, the messages are scams and, presumably, if I were to open the link, I would be asked to give the scammer details of my account, which he could use to actually complete a transaction. 

So, please would you warn your readers to be aware of this danger.

Thanks for all your good work and similar warnings.

Best wishes

Tony

NEXT:

Hi

This morning, I received a brown envelope through the Royal Mail

It has a logo "Scales" and the name ‘Consumer Refund Service Limited’. in the window.  It has the following:

REF:CRS/001/976294/jk17

Notification of Potential Refund £3,175

Inside it is a PPI claim invitation, from the ’Consumer Refund Service Ltd’ of Newcastle Upon Tyne.

The letter contains a claim form and contact details, including a phone number an email address for the "Claims Manager" and a website

Whilst it is not a scam per se, it is at very least designed to infer that a person is due £3175..

it may be worth circulating this to your readership

Kind regards

Stephen

Thanks Stephen.

Thanks Tony - job done.

NEXT:

Hi Jeff,

I have just received a rather convincing fake email supposedly from Santanader.

The link is not to Santander however if you were viewing this on a smart phone you could easily be fooled.

Kind regards,
Peter

The email has all the right logos and headings, it says that there has been an attempt to put in the password three times and the account has been suspended to safeguard it.  Then there is a link, which is ‘your unique code to allow you access to re-open the account !

DON’T DO IT !
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »

"Consumer Refund Service Ltd" does exist - and is authorised by the Claims Regulator (part of the Ministry of Justice).

However, if you think you have been sold PPI you can make a complaint. However, they will charge you 30% of any money you are entitled to (nearly a third).

If you have PPI, you can complain to the bank (or whoever sold it) yourself.

The Claims Regulator, Financial Conduct Authority and Financial Ombudsman Service all say you are no less likely to have your complaint upheld if you do it yourself - but you will keep ALL the money.

If you are unsure how to do it, call the Financial Ombudsman Service FREE on 0800 023 4567 for guidance free of charge.
simonstendell

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »

Thank you Bagheera.
As usual, casting light on the darkness.
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:40:27 AM »

It is worth noting that being registered by the Claims Regulator does not mean a claims management company will act according to its rules - and the Regulator seems pretty inept at addressing this.

I recently saw two complaints where the person from the claims management company submitting the complaint was actually the adviser guilty of the misselling. He falsely claimed the Financial Ombudsman Service had said the firm who asked me for help had said they were liable.

This is fraud and the two complainants have been unwittingly dragged into his criminality.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: