Cookham Discussion Board
December 12, 2018, 08:20:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
10 December 2018 - The Media Hub - Tim Brooke-Taylor OBE

11 December 2018 - Cookham Surgery Closed for Training 12.30pm onwards

13 December 2018 -  WilldCookham Christmas Catch Up - FREE

13 December 2018 - Cookham Book Club

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New sensory garden takes a step forward  (Read 604 times)
RBWM Press Release

« on: May 31, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »

A new sensory garden for residents to enjoy throughout the year is set to replace an unused car park.

The Royal Borough has secured a lease over a former car park in Fuzzens Walk, Dedworth which will be developed into a sensory garden over the coming months. Volunteers are being sought to help maintain the site.

The car park was previously used as a storage site but will become a space for residents to enjoy and use while providing health benefits.

Cllr Samantha Rayner, cabinet member for culture and communities (inc. customer and business services), said: “We are investing in our communities to help improve residents’ lives.

“The sensory garden in Dedworth is an excellent use of this previously unused space to bring beauty and joy to residents and huge benefit to the community.

“The garden will provide an excellent opportunity for residents to improve their health and enjoy nature.”

Work is expected to begin in July with the sensory garden due to open later this year.

Raised beds will be installed along with benches and water storage facilities. Local volunteers will be planting flowers that stimulate the senses.

Cllr Ed Wilson, ward member for Clewer South, said: “This new facility will be something residents can enjoy for years to come.

“Sensory gardens contain features to stimulate visitors’ senses and brains, helping combat dementia, autism and other conditions but can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

“I am grateful for support from local housing provider Radian in getting this unique community facility off the ground.

“Any groups or individuals wanting to use the garden or volunteer to help keep it open for the community should contact me over the course of the summer”.

The garden will be open to the public and community groups if they contact the managing group that will be established. This will help ensure the garden is protected and maintained.

Lynne Huggins, a Radian Independent Living Team Leader, said: “We were approached about this project in 2016 and thought that it could be a great way to use the Fuzzens Walk site.

“Our residents at the nearby Leslie Dunne House and everyone else from Dedworth will hopefully make good use of the garden.”

Watchman

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »

Will all this conversion work from a car park into a "sensory garden" in just one particular ward (Dedworth)-
 … be undertaken using funds that could well be spent on filling potholes and making extremely poor
road surfaces in the Borough a lot safer and more pleasant to drive on?

By the way, what on earth is a 'sensory' garden if not a garden by any other name?!

The roads in Maidenhead are an absolute disgrace with several of them housing potholes up to a few inches deep.

I foresee several claims against the RBWM for damaged and/or broken axles in the very near future … perhaps a few on the
drive to visit this sensory garden in Dedworth ….
Paris

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »

Good point Watchman.

There does appear to be quite a lot of reliance on volunteers to keep this running, what will happen if no one comes forward, or if they do, they cannot commit long term to the project?

How come it will only be open if interested parties contact the team running the garden?  Doesn't that make it a rather 'exclusive' facility?

Sorry to be negative about what on the face of it is a good idea, I just don't think it has been particularly well thought out in terms of running and managing the garden and accessibility.
Watchman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »

Taking the pothole issue further...

Even more worrying is when you find a cyclist (in amidst a group of them) suddenly swerving away
from the curb and out into the road to avoid a pothole, followed by the rest of the group doing the same.
This has happened both to myself and to several friends, all of whom are cautious and sensible drivers
and some of whom are cyclists themselves…. and who therefore keep a safe distance behind.

But, as a random car looks to overtake the group and this happens … I dread to think of the consequences.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »

The thing is Watchman, the Borough roads were not designed to take 40 ton juggernauts, for which you can blame a ruling from the common market. Maybe after Brexit these monsters will be restricted to M class roads. Another person you can blame is Dr. Beaching, for destroying a very good rail infrastructure.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »

I am glad you say that my information is outdated. For that is what history happens to be! Your parents,  grandparents and great grandparents on your fathers side were born and raised in Cookham.
There are not many of age group left, and even fewer that are computer literate. It seems that my village history has gained quite a following over the past ten years. A recent count of 318183 bares that fact out. I know the village has changed, but I would like to preserve what is left of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: