Cookham Discussion Board
December 14, 2018, 04:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
15 December 2018 -  Come and Sing

15 December 2018 -  Christmas with Cantorum

20 December 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

25 December 2018 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Investment set to improve road network  (Read 2874 times)
RBWM Press Release

« on: June 04, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »

Roads across the Royal Borough will benefit from improvements and investments worth more than £7.7m over the next year.

The funds include £2.7m for the annual works programme including resurfacing and an extra £240,000 to repair winter damage.

The rest of the funding will be used to maintain and improve the highway network including bridge maintenance, cycle schemes, verge protection, road markings and more.

Cllr Phill Bicknell, cabinet member for highways, transport and Windsor, said: “We are looking to invest in improving our road network to help keep the borough moving.

“The funding will improve road surfaces and safety right across the borough with a variety of schemes.

“We are spending £7.7m to improve our road network, this includes both major capital schemes and annual works to improve the hundreds of thousands of journeys made on our roads every year.

“This year’s annual works, worth £2.7m, will restore infrastructure, preventing the need for more expensive works in the future and creating new features including crossings and widened carriageways. It will also launch schemes to boost safety and make cycling easier.

“Additionally we are looking at increasing funding for road repairs in this financial year in response to extreme weather over the winter. This would build on the £1.7m we have already approved for resurfacing.”

The £7.7m is split between £2.7m in the annual works programme and £5m from the previously approved capital works programme.

The investment includes:

·         £100,000 for traffic management

·         £50,000 for road safety marking programmes

·         £1,700,000 for road resurfacing

·         £255,000 for bridge assessments

·         £150,000 for bridge parapet improvements

·         £65,000 for safer routes to schools

·         £120,000 for local safety schemes

·         £75,000 for cycling infrastructure

·         £50,000 for school cycle and scooter storage

·         £100,000 for verge protection measures

·         £50,000 for reducing congestion and air quality improvements

·         £350,000 for Clewer and Dedworth neighbourhood improvements

A paper approved by cabinet on Thursday 24 May sets out the detailed scheme of these works.

Last year the Royal Borough fixed 3,500 potholes during the two-month pothole challenge.

If you find a pothole you can report it using the dedicated form on our website or on 01628 683800. Other defects including broken street lights can be reported on the same number or through the online report it form.
Watchman

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »

The rest of the funding will be used to maintain and improve the highway network including bridge maintenance, cycle schemes, verge protection, road markings and more.

No mention in this year's Press release of pothole repairs …
Funny that, when …

Last year the Royal Borough fixed 3,500 potholes during the two-month pothole challenge.

Looks like potholes are only addressed every 5 years … unless you believe this claptrap below …

“Additionally we are looking at increasing funding for road repairs in this financial year in response to extreme weather over the winter. This would build on the £1.7m we have already approved for resurfacing

Ho hum …
Paris

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 02:10:32 PM »

I'd like to know how they are going to make routes to schools safer.  Many of them are dangerous just because of what they are and full of parents hurrying frantically to get kids to school and themselves to work.  Not to mention the weight of traffic that passes through and around the Borough everyday.
CLIPPER

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »

In reply to your post Paris -

I was seriously gob smacked witnessing a 'meet and greet' American style - teacher/ Helper collecting children from cars for the school in the High Road.

Teacher/Helper was oblivious to the rest of the traffic, with a queue of cars (mostly parents) dropping their darlings off to school one by one.

The traffic was held up even more so with this Teacher/Helper negotiating with one child to even get out of the car (must add - nothing physically wrong with said child) !.

I was going to suggest, perhaps the parents could be given areas around Cookham to 'park and walk'... perhaps arranged by 'class / year' and  rotated. They could use the church car park / doctors car park / parade / other side of the Alfred major park etc..

At least this way - kids would be healthier and able to walk to school. less traffic hold ups in a small village and actually safer for all round than a personal 'drop off' holding up traffic and causing an issue for those trying to get to work!

Paris

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »

And these will be the very people saying that the school routes are dangerous - it beggars belief that they cannot see they are the ones making it dangerous!!!!
CLIPPER

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »

That is so true  Cheesy
fision

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:27:33 PM »

So working parents are expected to park elsewhere then walk their children to school, then get back to the car and then head to work, adding how much extra time? If you know the school process, why are you complaining about getting held up going to work? Why not use Lower Road rather than High Road, therefore reducing the risk to the children.

Also, the children get plenty of exercise at the school, so I think they are fine.

Are you seriously moaning about a process to quickly drop-off children, safely and with the minimum of inconvenience to people who live on High Road?
Paris

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »

Why do you need to park elsewhere then walk your child to school?  Can you not walk from your house?  At the risk of sounding like a certain James Hatch, when I was at Cookham Primary just about all of us children walked to school, the same was true with the other two schools as well, and the nursery too.  Yes, our parents were working at the time, they just made adjustments to be able to do this.  Many of those parents probably relied on public transport to get to work, so drop off at school then walk to bus stop or train station.  One of my best friends used to walk from Cookham Rise to Cookham Dean Primary because the Rise was oversubscribed at the time - it didn't do her any harm.

btw - I wasn't talking about the children spending money on petrol to get exercise - I was talking about the parents who spend out so much going to the gym, etc.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »

As I have said before Paris, restrict those 40 ton juggernauts to the M class roads and build transfer depots along them so that goods can be transferred to smaller lorries. It would be similar to what the GWR use to do with goods that they handled. This would eliminate the pot hole problem and preserve our country lanes.
Watchman

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:53 PM »

Which left field are you coming in from, James?

The interesting discussion over the last TWO posts was about school children and their conveyance to schools in Cookham …
 … not bleedin' juggernauts, goods, lorries and Motorways!

Strewth ... Roll Eyes
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »

Watcmen this all started with the RBWM applying money to the borough highway infrastucture. The existing highways were designed to take traffic of the 1930's, not for present day traffic allowed by Brussels. It is they who allowed juggernaut traffic on the borough roads and hence the pot holes in the roads.
As for school transport, I think that a school bus system be instituted, with pick up points throughout the area. This way it would solve the blockage twice a day in the like of High Road and School Lane. Not many people living in Cookham today will remember when the Thames Valley Traction Company issued school passes for children coming from Maidenhead Court area, or those students who were at The County Boys, or The County Girls schools.
Those same school buses could be used to take students on field trips to broaden their knowledge of local history and local nature.
CLIPPER

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 07:42:11 AM »

Fision - tad difficult when I and others live ON the High Road, and are expected to wait for the 'door to door' drop off.

I fully appreciate some of these parents may also need to get to work - but I do not see why there is this 'American System' now put in place at the school gate with a 'Chatty Meet and Greet' boarding pass type of checker going on.... It really should be more like 'Grab-and-Go' style and not a 'Drive-through Maccy 'D'... (can I take your order please?).

AND....

IF such a system needs to be put in place... have the kids ready (this means ruck sack in place / last round of kisses / all good mornings, smiles, box of tissues & waves completed) and ''Projectile Launch Pad'' out of the car and DRIVE ON....!

That was my comment regarding the traffic build up. Its these situations that are also adding to congestion on our tiny village roads with those parents in their Hummers holding traffic up when they could PARK and WALK.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:53:56 AM by CLIPPER » Logged
fision

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:05:12 AM »

So do I and we manage to cope with it.
CLIPPER

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »

I rest my case, the behaviour starts with the parents.

Most parents would collaborate with others and help with the congestion that builds up - I was pointing out that the 'chit-chat' does not help when 'off-boarding' the child at the drop off.

I witnessed a 'hostage -style' negotiation with one child not wanting to get out of the car  - I get it, these things happen.. but if 'said' child was not happy going to school, most of these negotiations could of taken place whilst walking to school with a happy child at the end, parents 'fit-bit points' collected, and less traffic on the High Rd.

And your response  to those that dare mention the issue of the 'school run' as being the cause of the traffic is for people to move / relocate is sad and pathetic argument here  Roll Eyes and one that falls on old deaf ears  Grin

fision

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »

The whole scheme was built in collaboration with parents and is designed to be efficient and minimise disruption of two-way traffic on High Road.

Children, especially younger ones do get upset and need calming down/re-assurance that everything is ok. It happens, and not always at convenient times to others, but I won't apologise for them being children.

If there are better ideas other than buses (they are primary school children, 5yrs+), parking elsewhere (seriously, where) etc. then we are all ears.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: