Cookham Discussion Board
October 15, 2018, 07:14:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
18 October 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

18 October 2018 - Cookham Book Club

20-22 October 2018 - Cookham-St Benoit Twinning 2018

20 October 2018 - Live@the Church

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crime Update  (Read 342 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: August 08, 2018, 04:09:50 PM »

A letter was missing from the web address circulated for ‘have I been pwned’ website, where you can check if your email address has been used in a scam email.
The full web address is:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

NEXT:  An appeal to identify property:

Thames Valley Police, is releasing an image of a necklace, stolen following a burglary in Maidenhead.
The burglary took place between 8pm on Tuesday (31/7) and 8.00am on Wednesday (1/8), at a property in Hurley, Maidenhead.
The offenders searched the property and took a valuable gold necklace and earring set.
Investigating officer, Detective Constable Martin Key, of the Investigation hub at Maidenhead, said: “We are releasing an image of the type of necklace that was taken.
“We are asking traders, jewellers and pawn shops, to keep an eye in case anyone tries to sell this item of jewellery to them.
“We would ask anyone with information, or who is approached regarding this item, to contact us via our website or call 101 quoting reference 43180234879.
“Or if you wish to report anonymously you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

MAIDENHEAD CENTRAL:
maidenheadcentralnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
7/8  Tuesday 10.25 a.m.  Kidwells Park.  A witness saw a man set a refuse bin on fire.
7/8  Tuesday 2 a.m.  Grenfell Road.  Two weeks ago attempt made to steal a motorbike.  Early hours of Tuesday CCTV shows two men driving up on a moped and making another unsuccessful attempt to steal the motorbike.

RIVERSIDE & BELMONT:
6/8  Monday 8.30 a.m. / 6.50 p.m.  Blackamoor Lane.  Burglary.  Entry via rear window left open.  Tidy search, car keys and a white Audi S5, index LM ** PPY stolen.
6/8  Monday 3 p.m.  Islet Road.  Car window smashed - bag stolen.

MAIDENHEAD WEST
maidenheadwestnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BISHAM, COOKHAM, HURLEY, THE WALTHAMS, LITTLEWICK GREEN & KNOWL HILL:
7/8 - 8/8  Tuesday 9.30 p.m. / Tuesday 7 a.m.  Hungerford Lane, Shurlock Row.  Burglary.  ENTRY BY UNKNOWN MEANS through the front door.  Keys, wallet and a black Audi AS5 index RF ** PPZ stolen.
7/8  Tuesday 8 a.m. / 4 p.m.  Whytelayes Lane, Cookham.  Outer pane of a double glazed patio window smashed.

PINKNEYS GREEN & FURZE PLATT:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

MAIDENHEAD SOUTH
maidenheadsouthnhpt@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
BOYN HILL, COX GREEN & WOODLANDS PARK:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

OLDFIELD & BRAY:
NO CRIME TO REPORT.

COMMENTS:

First from Linda - this is how to deal with unwanted calls:

Hi

re: phone calls supposedly from ‘BT’.

A few weeks ago, I received such a call on our house phone, saying that 'your internet service will be terminated within the next 3 hours, unless you do…………..  At that point, I put the phone down and ignored it.

My internet service has continued as usual ever since then, with no interruptions that I have noticed.

Linda

Exactly the right thing to do.  You do not want to be a ‘responder’ on the phone.  The numbers are generated by a computer.  They don’t know if they are real or not.  If they ring, the numbers are transferred to another database of live numbers.  This list is quite valuable to scammers.  If the phone is picked up, it automatically goes onto an even more valuable list.  If you respond and engage - again onto a very valuable list.  You may not fall for this scam, but you are an engager and another may have better results.

When you pick up the phone the only thing you say is ‘hello’, nothing more and certainly not your name, or telephone number.  You listen to who is calling and if it is a scam, you just put the phone down - it is not rude and you have no idea who they are and you do not want to engage and divulge personal information.  Your name can give away your age, a couple of simple questions, that you live alone.

DON’T DO IT

If you have an answer-phone - again be very careful about the message you leave - think about something very simple - ‘I am sorry, WE cannot come to the phone at the moment, leave your name and number and we will call you back’ !  NEVER you are ‘out’ or ‘on holiday for 2 weeks’ !

Same for Facebook - put everything up when you get back !

Message and send photos to those that need to know privately, while you are away, not on your front page - and - check your security settings and restrict them.

NEXT: from Alan -

Hi
Extortion attempt number 3 now received!  First one $3200, second one $1900, third one $630.  Well, at lest the price keeps going down!  Maybe they'll be offering to pay me soon.

Alan

NEXT: A variation on a theme.

Hello

Another one for your collection!  The underlying email address was something completely different from HMRC. Needless to say I haven’t clicked on anything.

Thank you for including my last example in your Alert newsletter.

Best wishes

Joss

This one purports to be from HMRevenue and Taxes !

It says that they are holding 694 GBP in an account for him - to obtain it, click on the ‘Deposit your money’ button.  He has a day to do this or the money will be lost.

DON’T DO IT

NEXT:  from Penny

Hi

I have received a letter from the 'Health Lottery UK' to say I have won £325,000.  I know this is a scam, by the tone of the letter. It uses a logo very similar to the official UK Lottery, using the rainbow colours of FIA Financial Management.
The letter states that:  All winnings must be claimed not later than 31st August 2018. After that date, the entire funds will be returned to the BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE as unclaimed.

Penny

Thanks Penny - standard Scam identifiers - an inducement - the money.  A time limit - to make you panic.  A threat - if you don’t do it - this penalty will happen.

NEXT:  This is in from Liz;

Hi - a Paypal scam email for you to warn everyone.

Liz’ email purports to be from PayPal.  It maintains they have a security alert as someone has attempted to sign into her account.  They ‘require’ her to change and complete all her security information.  She must click on the ‘Validate Account’ button to do that.

DON’T DO IT

NEXT:  Expensive middlemen !

Hi

I was caught out, renewing my driver’s licence and paid a fee of £50 ! This service is of course free and I should have known.

However, when paying the Dartford Crossing fee, the Congestion Charge, renewing your driving licence, paying VED or any other government website simply look for .GOV.UK – in capitals - as the domain name then you will not go wrong and renewal or payment will be free of any extra charges.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan, many people are caught in this way.

NEXT: from Fergus:

Just received a call from a man claiming to be from "the Visa Verification Team", asking for me by name and asking me, if I have made an online transaction recently.  I simply said that I was not prepared to discuss anything on the phone and ended the call.

I then phoned my bank, who said it was almost certainly a scam, or an attempt at one.

This is just in case anyone else has had similar calls.

Regards,

Fergus

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:13:59 PM by Thames Valley Police » Logged
Gazzetta

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »

What about Timmy's bike.   Call in SWAT.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: