Cookham Discussion Board
December 14, 2018, 04:02:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
15 December 2018 -  Come and Sing

15 December 2018 -  Christmas with Cantorum

20 December 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

25 December 2018 - Christmas Day Carols by Candlelight

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Six Hate Crimes Recorded Every Day In Thames Valley  (Read 522 times)
Thames Valley Police

« on: October 08, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »

Six hate crimes recorded every day in Thames Valley

Today (8/10) we’re launching the latest phase of our Hidden Harm campaign, this time asking everyone to open their eyes to hate crime.

A hate crime is any crime committed against a person which is perceived to be motivated by hostility or prejudice towards their:
Race
Religion
Sexual orientation
Disability
Transgender identity

Hate crimes can take place anywhere, even online. They can include threats, intimidation, damage to property and physical attacks.

They can have serious long term effects on people – emotionally, physically and financially.

Last year at least six hate crimes were recorded every day in Thames Valley.

No one should be targeted because of who they are, how they look or what they believe in.

If you or someone you know has been a victim of hate crime, or if you have witnessed a hate crime, report it.

You can do this by contacting the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency. Or you can contact Victims First on 0300 1234 148 for confidential advice and support.

For more information about hate crime or to report online visit www.thamesvalley.police.uk/hiddenharm.

Message Sent By
Holly Turner (Police, Comms Officer, Thames Valley)
grumpyoldgit

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »

As we seem to be hearing on a daily basis, more and more "old-fashioned" crimes, such as burglary, breaking and entering, vandalism, theft of and from vehicles, assaults on the person and so on are being "screened out" (i.e. not investigated). Police are rarely seen in public, either on our streets or on our roads, and police stations are either being sold off and turned into apartment buildings, or are closed to the public. It seems that a considerable proportion of police time is now spent on administrative work rather than actual policing.

Does anyone else think that - at a time when we're told that police forces up and down the country are stretched in terms of both budget and manpower - that so-called "hate crimes" should be a major priority? It seems to me we're only one step away from George Orwell's Thought Police, whose sole purpose was to stamp out "thoughtcrime".

1984 has finally arrived, just a little later than advertised....
Watchman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

Presumably "Victims First" cater specifically to "hate crimes" …

Stand in the queue and wait your turn if you've been mugged, burgled or had your car vandalised or stolen.

Victims First get priority.

Merriman

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »

It would seem that Chief Constable Sara Thornton agrees with your point of view.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-46066106/core-policing-is-under-tremendous-pressure-police-chief

Whilst I deplore hate crime, the way things are going it will soon be a hate crime to laugh at someone's passport photo.
wannabe
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »

Before any more made up stories appear....
From my experience of speaking to the public who have been burgled and robbed (there is no crime of mugging) over 7 years in the last 9, the response target for a burglary not in progress is 60 minutes, in progress is immediate. Robbery, which is theft from a person with fear of violence or violence is immediate depending on circumstances. Resources at times are extremely stretched. I don't think that's a secret.
Support for the people doing this complicated, difficult and dangerous job, instead of made up stories I'm sure would be greatly appreciated.
If you have had a bad experience being dealt with by police then please make a complaint, unless that happens results are difficult to improve.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: