Cookham Discussion Board
March 21, 2019, 02:55:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
21 March 2019 - Cookham Book Club

22 March 2019 - Echoes of Swing Big Band in Concert

26 May 2019 - Dawn Chorus Walk

27 March 2019 - Cookham WI Annual Bridge Drive

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Council buys Cookham land to protect open space  (Read 1447 times)
RBWM Press Release

« on: December 20, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »

The Royal Borough has purchased 110 acres of land between Maidenhead and Cookham to safeguard the open green space and improve access for residents and visitors.

Ownership of the site, off Lower Cookham Road, will allow the council to reopen a missing link in the Millennium Walk route and ensure future generations and wildlife can continue to enjoy the area as an unspoilt outdoor space, with breath-taking views of Cliveden House and the surrounding countryside

Within the land are fields which had previously been used for farming, Willow Woods and White Brook. Much of the land is prone to flooding and acts as an ideal habitat for wintering wildfowl and waders.

Cllr Samantha Rayner, cabinet member for culture and communities, said: I am delighted we have been able to secure the long-term future of this land between Maidenhead and Cookham which will ensure this green divide remains open space for residents and visitors to enjoy.

Its important we retain the natural spaces in our borough as we recognise the benefit beautiful countryside and open space has on the health and well-being of our residents. This land also gives us an ideal opportunity to further protect this area as a habitat for wildlife while preserving a natural undeveloped boundary between the two settlements.

We have a range of options for how we can help people to enjoy this green space including reconnecting the Millennium Walk.

The purchase of the land cost around 1 million and will be known as Battlemead Common.

The Millennium Walk project created a seven mile trail off the Thames Path linking Boulters Lock to Hurley on a cross-country route through some of the green spaces that surround Maidenhead. Diversions had to be introduced in 2013 when fallen trees and concerns over the safety of other trees meant walkers could no longer pass across the area.
CLIPPER

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »

Don't be fooled. They have done this to 'off set' this land (flood plain), to the land they have ear marked for housing!
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:28 AM »

I  would like to see a map of this area before I make a comment.
Paris

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »

While I applaud the council for buying this land to protect it, I do hope that it won't be detrimental in the long run to wildlife by allowing it to become another sanitised bit of countryside, altered to suit tidy minds.

Also, given that they are spending our money, as they've spent so much on this, shouldn't there have been a public consultation?  Some may feel that the money could have been spent on social or economic issues such as the dead town centre, or better social services.  Likewise, the money recently released to the waterways people, granted what has been done satisfies tidy minds and looks OK, but where are all the canoeists and small boat users it was supposed to bring into the town?  Shouldn't it have to prove its worth before more taxpayers money is sunk into any further development?
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »

I have noted the area that has been purchased from the present owners of White Place Farm. Part of which lies within the 1934 Maidenhead boundary. These fields are Upper and Lower Southey and Upper and Lower Gardeners, which back up to the Islet Park. This Islet Park boundary was marked by Lord Waldorf William Astor with a line of Black Poplar trees, as he and the then owner of Islet Park, a Mr. Wagg, London Vintner had a bit of a fued going in the early 1900's. The Widbrook Stream runs right through the property and into the Thames at Islet Park. The name Widbrook comes from the old English name of Widde, which the willows were called back then, and not White, which the modern cartographers have dubbed the stream. The Astor's dubbed the low lying pastures Tumulus as there was a battle between the Saxon's and Dane's that came up the river. I know the location of two small tumulus mounds, that were leveled by a farm manager when ploughing up good pasture land. The existing willows that line the stream are over a 100 years old. These pollard beauties have provided good nesting for ducks and even owls.
CLIPPER

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »

I really enjoy reading these snippets of history of Cookham.

Its saddens me that I have heard White Place Farm have given notice to its equine residents. Should we be concerned that White Place Farm is also being sold off in chunks for planning / houses?

I really hope this is not the case of yet another historic farm being sold up for development (like Woodlands and the other surrounding Farms that keep submitting plans  Sad).

Paris

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »

Horses and ponies will be becoming a rare breed in Cookham soon.  Such a shame when there used to be such a thriving equestrian community in the Cookhams.

I hope everyone manages to find somewhere to go. Not an easy task these days.
Ian64

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »

Wild Cookham, the Parish Council and other interested groups have met with RBWM and requested the unique wildlife setting be protected, whilst permitting limited public access to allow enjoyment of the countryside by residents and visitors. Cllr Samantha Rayner and RBWM Officers confirmed protecting the wildlife habitat is the priority for the site and a Freinds of Battlemead group will be formed to oversee the use of the land and ensure plans for footpaths etc are sensative to the wildlife. It was also confirmed the land will not become an "urbanised" green space but kept as a natural environment. An ecological survey will be carried out during the spring and it's envisaged that public access will not be permitted before July at the earliest. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: