Cookham Discussion Board
November 25, 2020, 08:12:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookham Discussions  (Read 18988 times)
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »

Well put Clipper. I have noticed that the follower crowd have grown of late, and at times when most Cookham residents should be counting sheep! Or should it be sawing logs! All indicators that Cookham is getting World wide attention.
James Hatch
Golden Hatch

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2019, 08:53:52 PM »

Just to let you know that I have started to go over Hatch family history in the section that the Webmaster kindly provided for me. I now have to try and gather ten years or postings.

By the way I am using a photo technique which I am also using in the Photo Hobby section.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:58:20 PM by James Hatch » Logged
CH

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 04:30:56 PM »

I'm sorry to see the problems that have been had and the discussions being lost.

I'm a Cookham resident and while I don't often contribute I really do value having the discussion board available.  Please don't dispense with it altogether - that would be a real loss, even if the historical posts can't be reinstated (hopefully they can).

I recognise that the loss of the history is unfortunate, sad, disappointing and even suspicious for some and could have been a useful reference library.  However, the discussion board is of most value because of current information about what is going on in the village TODAY. 

Please don't lose the discussion boards - the passions this has sparked show how much it means to people. 

By the way, the volunteers who keep this going are marvellous - thank you!

p.s. if it's possible to ask Thames Valley Police to only post when they need to and about things that are relevant to Cookham, that would be great ...  Grin
paddo

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »

"I am afraid that I have inadvertently deleted the Cookham Discussions. Perhaps it is a good time to start afresh!"'

What!?? I don't get it how on earth did you "inadvertently" delete an entire forum that had been running for years? I don't think CTRL+A DELETE would have done it...or spilling coffee on your keyboard.

I'm sure you could reinstate it as (I'm sure you know) nothing online can ever be deleted. Was there something you didn't like on the forum?

Something very odd going on here.

CLIPPER

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 07:00:56 AM »

So any news with getting the 'history' back on line?

More developments are being put forward in Cookham, and we need that history to see what opposition /reasons was raised before... before we are all wiped out with more 'opportunistic housing' !!!
Watchman

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:53 AM »

I honestly believe that you can say goodbye to the old Discussion Board.
How long has it been ? two months plus ? . and yet not a whisper on action taken to restore it.

Which backs my theory that its deletion was, after all, a politically motivated move which has now backfired spectacularly.

Okay - I'm laying down a challenge to the adjudicators to prove me wrong.
Don't hold your breath folks!

PS - and please - no bleeding hearts defending all and sundry for this gross negligence and railing against genuinely dismayed posters .
Cookie

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »

I have just looked at the Discussions page after some time away, and can't believe that all the accusations, complaints and even the conspiracy theory continue!

No-one wanted to lose all the information but, to the best of my knowledge, the Discussions page was accidentally deleted while the Webmaster was setting up an upgrade to the site. This is unpaid work and done as a labour of love for the benefit of Cookham people - for which continuing thanks and appreciation are due, not criticism. Who out of all the complainants can say that they have never made a mistake that has inadvertently affected others?

Perhaps those making demands and accusations should remember that Cookham.com is not a compulsory facility and that there are no ownership rules or rights attached to anyone visiting the website - we are all very fortunate to have it at all.  As a service run by volunteers, it could be closed down at any time.

Presumably if - as some claim with apparent authority - it is still possible to retrieve the lost information, then skills are required which the Webmaster may not have.

Instead of criticising, why don't those complaining - some of whom appear to have so much expertise about the potential requirements of re-establishing the page - either offer their own or their company's technical services free, or pay the bill for the website restoration work?

Sniping will achieve nothing, other than to get the website closed down once and for all, which I would guess is now a strong possibility. I have to say that, if I were the long-suffering Webmaster, after seeing so little appreciation shown for all the time, hard work and even personal money I had invested into Cookham.com over many years, I would walk away and get on with the next important charitable project in my life.

fision

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »

Well said Cookie - a lot of moaning but very little help coming forwards to help the webmaster.

Having personally managed sites in the past, accidents do happen and whilst back-ups may exist, sometimes the level of technical capability to implement exceeds the manager which appears to be the case here with it being PHP based.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:44:44 AM by fision » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: