Cookham Discussion Board
October 23, 2019, 10:55:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
25 October 2019 - Pinder Hall AGM - FREE Nibbles and Wine

24 October 2019 - Roman Roads in Britain

24 October 2019 - Cookham Book Club

26 October 2019 - H2GLO

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridge over strande water  (Read 3047 times)
lizzyk

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »

Thanks so much TaylorMadeLiveries, I think we need to get together and get some plans as what to do. There seems to be a lot of discussions on Facebbook, Cookham and Cookham Society plus this one, hopefully the Cookham Society and Parish Council will get together and decide what we should do to try and get access back.
Ian64

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »

I've spoken to or emailed several Cllrs and I understand the rights of way dept at RBWM are aware and meetings have been set up with interested parties to look into this issue. My understanding is that the track is not a right of way (although it has been used as such for many years) and the land is owned by Summerleaze but let out to Copas Farms and I believe a rep from the Cookham Society will talk about this when they meet with Copas Farms next week. The Cookham Society would also like to hear from anyone who can proove they have used this track over the years, to help them put a case together to turn the track into a right of way. They may be contact by email at messages@cookhamsociety.org.uk  Just to be clear as it's currently not a right of way, the farmer has not done anything wrong.
lizzyk

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »

Thanks Ian, it looks like lots of people are taking action. In the article from Gerry Clarke re rights of way it does say:

A period of at least 20 years’ uninterrupted use by the public. This is counted backwards either from the date when the public’s right to use the way was called into question (for example, when somebody locked a gate across the path) or, if the public's right to use the path hasn’t been called into question, from the date of your DMMO application.

So it may be possible to make it a right of way, probably take time though.
TaylorMadeLiveries

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »

Hi guys

Update. Sent this to Summerleaze earlier today. Will let you know if I get a response.

In the meantime I will be collecting evidence to support our claim over the next couple of weeks and will continue to update when i can.

"I'm writing with regards to the recent blocking of the link path between Footpath 49 and 50 in Cookham.

I have just received the necessary forms from RBWM. I wanted to state my intent to pursue 3 separate Bridleway and Footpath claims across Summerleaze land.

However , I do know that Peter Prior does a lot of work with the cycling community across the borough and is very involved with Maidenhead Waterways Project which I very much support.

Summerleaze has a positive reputation for supporting local good causes. With this in mind I feel the most reasonable course of action is to contact you to resolve the situation before making any official claims with RBWM. I feel strongly that we can work together on this issue, to the benefit of all.

Yours Faithfully
Mark Christie
Taylor Made Liveries"
lizzyk

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2019, 04:43:55 PM »

Thanks Mark, I will let the Cookham Society know.
Cookham Society

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2019, 06:39:51 PM »

The following has been agreed with Summerleaze:-

“We are pleased that following constructive and helpful discussions with Mike Lowe of Summerleaze and Councillor Mandy Brar we anticipate the barrier on the bridge north of  Strand Water will be modified in the near future to allow pedestrians to cross. Horse riders will be prohibited.”
lizzyk

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »

Well done Cookham Society that is great news. Out of interest why are horse riders prohibited?
Paris

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »

Good question Lizzy.  I'd appreciate an answer to that one too, on behalf of all the riders in Cookham who have regularly ridden around the field edges for years.

Thank you to the Cookham society for getting access restored for walkers.
Cookham Society

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »

This a privately owned bridge on a private track on private land. There is no public Right of Way. Access for pedestrians is being made available by the generosity of the land owner. We are very grateful for this. This bridge provides a link between two well used footpaths that are Rights of Way. Cyclists and horses are not allowed on these public footpaths.

Horses and cyclists raise additional issues of risks to members of the public and themselves as well as damage to tracks. Most land owners restrict access to cyclists and horse riders when they can.
Paris

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 12:10:53 PM »

I get what you say about the footpaths; but, field edges are not footpaths.  Yes, I know the land is not public and therefore technically riders do not have 'a right' to ride there; however, we've been doing so since the 1970s, so why has the decision been made that we are to be excluded?  There is no more risk to walkers than if passed on a bridleway by a horse, note to anyone who doesn't know - pedestrians are allowed on bridleways as are cyclists, but riders cannot use footpaths.  All the riders using the field edges are highly responsible people who are well aware of how lucky they are to have been able to access such safe off road places to ride.  There aren't any bridleways that can be accessed now without riding on the road to get there.

Incidentally, as far as I am aware, several riders have submitted forms to have the bridge access reinstated, so it's rather nasty that their evidence has been used to help further the argument to unblock the bridge, yet they are now still unable to use it.

Why is everyone so anti-horse in Cookham these days?   Saying most landowners restrict horses and cyclists where they can is simply a catch all stereotype.  Especially when you bear in mind, and it is a different landowner, that the Copas who owns Marsh Meadow has welcomed riders and allows them to ride along the left hand edge, away from the foot paths.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:54:31 PM by Paris » Logged
TaylorMadeLiveries

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2019, 08:51:56 AM »

Great news Summerleaze have decided to voluntarily open the track. I do notice they have not volunteered an official Public Right Of Way. Evidence for an official footpath across that section is extremely strong and I would advise any concerned Cookhamite to continue with the legal claim. A permitted path can always be closed at any time without notice (which they've already done once).
If I was more cynical I'd say the voluntary path proposed by Summerleaze is an attempt to distract from the legal claim, run down the clock a little more then close it when the evidence is a little less solid. Thankfully I'm a cheery sort so that's not where my mind wanders.
Anyway once again, great news. But worth keeping in mind Summerleaze have volunteered a lesser version of what they will be forced to do in the future. Might be a conversation worth having. - M
Roger

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »

That is fantastic news TaylorMadeLiveries. Come on Cookham Society let's go for an official footpath, so we don't have this problem again.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: