Cookham Discussion Board
July 08, 2020, 05:40:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accident at Switchback  (Read 1835 times)
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator
Golden Hatch

« on: December 21, 2019, 03:23:33 PM »

Switchback has been temporarily closed after a bad accident. Police cars and ambulances are there. A young boy has been taken to the John Radcliffe in Oxford.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:31:32 PM by Cookham Webmaster » Logged
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator
Golden Hatch

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »

Switchback Road is now open again.
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator
Golden Hatch

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 12:55:49 PM »

A 13-year-old boy has died after being knocked down in a street by a suspected drug-driver.

He was hit by a red Audi TT on Switchback Road North, Maidenhead, at about 13:25 GMT on Saturday, police said.

He died later in hospital from his injuries.

A 34-year-old man from Wooburn Green, Buckinghamshire, has been arrested on suspicion of drug-driving and remains in custody.

Police have appealed for information about the crash, which happened near the junction with Shifford Crescent.

PC Joy Jarvis said: "I would particularly like to hear from anyone who witnessed the collision, saw the pedestrian or vehicle before the incident, or has any dashcam footage."

If you have any information please leave it on our website or call 101, quoting investigation reference number 745 (21/12).

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/…/report-a-road-traffic…/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:02:39 PM by Cookham Webmaster » Logged
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator
Golden Hatch

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »

Can you help Amanda Henney raise £3000 to Help fund Max Simmons funeral. Please donate to their JustGiving Crowdfunding Page:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/amanda-henney?utm_term=KwqPPdq8x&fbclid=IwAR1gRjPcyeqZGRf4DOWiaCf_6l-3J3b71J_5mladRBQOQekQgHjjCW6x7R8
TEX

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »

re accident switchback rd I think it is time we had average speed cameras put in on switchback rd cannondown rd
the amount of speeding going on in Cookham is getting out of hand i feel in danger walking around the cookham
 area Tex
Roger

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »

I agree that there are problems on Switchback, but in this case the accident was by Shifford Crescent where the Co-op is, which is 30mph. It sounds like Max was walking along the pavement.
Paris

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »

With the best will in the world, total idiots driving cars is not going to be solved by traffic schemes or cameras.

Anyway, now is not the time for banging on about speeding, poor driving, etc.  There is a family grieving this Christmas and our sympathies and thoughts should be with them.
Cookham Webmaster
Administrator
Golden Hatch

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »

The driver of the car is spending Christmas in jail.
Bagheera

e tenebris lux

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 10:46:40 AM »

With the best will in the world, total idiots driving cars is not going to be solved by traffic schemes or cameras.

Sadly, you are correct, Paris.

In the end, the root cause was not the lack of cameras, or a speed limit, it seems but that some idiot was under the influence of drugs so the presence of either - or a Police officer - would have made not a blind bit of difference.

And a knee-jerk response will only cause more frustration.

What I do think, though, is that society is falling into the trap of punishing on the basis of effect rather than cause.

What I mean is that, clearly what this driver did was downright dangerous and he knew, or ought to have known, he was in no fit state to drive. But that would have been the case whether, in the event, there was an accident or not. If caught, he should have the book thrown at him - whether or not he has had an accident because of the unnecessary risk to which we have all been exposed as a result of his selfish action.

That, I think, is far more serious than a momentary lapse in concentration - even if the outcome of the momentary lapse is more tragic. That outcome is something which the driver will have to live with for always.

That is not to say that there should be no action against such a driver but I think simply saying "they killed somebody, they should be gaoled" is also a knee-jerk reaction which is probably not in the long term public interest.

I would, though, question why there is a crowdfunding page for the funeral cost - should not the driver's insurers meet that cost?

Roger

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »

You are absolutely right Bagheera. The guy was apparently travelling at 70mph. Doesn't matter how many speed limit signs you have that guy would have ignored them.

I must admit I was not aware that the insurance company would have to pay for the funeral. I suppose they would have to pay for medical fees, so perhaps why not. I assume the crowdfunding page would allow the family to have the money now rather than fight for it from an insurance company at a very sad time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: