Cookham Discussion Board
June 21, 2018, 05:57:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
19 June 2018 - Medical Detection Dogs

19 June 2018 - Part 1 Speak Out

21 June 2018 - Baroque Ensemble Red Priest

21 June 2018 - Open Minds - The Teenagers Debating Group

TO REGISTER TO POST ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD email the Webmaster@cookham.com with a User name you would like. This is due to spammers.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossing at Spencers  (Read 10000 times)
Not Amused
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

Has anybody seen that ghastly crossing outside Spencers, i just can't believe the council have used such a bright white,surely a nice Primrose or Ivory Lace white would have been more appropiate in OUR beautiful Village.
Pongo
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »

The word Conservation seems to have missed the Council by, it is horrific.
Cookham Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »

It is all part of the dumbing down of Cookham. Make it tacky and grotty by small increments and then all the additional housing heading our way shortly will not seem so out of place.It will eventually just be a small corner of Maidenhead once the rot has properly set in and the developers have had their greedy way with it. Still, all the pro Shanly, garden selling, "let's not be stuck in the past" brigade will be happy. The pound signs must be flashing up bright and clear for them. Take the money and run, who cares what is left behind....
Jennie
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »

I quite agree and when and if they put crossing  lights in it will be dreadful the road humps are bad enough they have now ruined the Pound.
Maidenhead Driver
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »

I'm assuming the first post was tongue in cheek, please let me know if I am wrong.

Isn't the whole point of a crossing - lights, paint - to be seen?  I think road safety comes before anything else.  The reason they did the road hump in tarmac rather than the bricks was that it was to be covered in paint.

If you don't think the road needs a crossing, petition the council and make a stink.  It worked in removing the chicanes on the River Road in Maidenhead.
Pongo

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »

I agree that safety is important, but as far as I know, there have not been any accidents crossing the road in the Pound. I find walking along the narrow bit is a lot more of a problem than crossing the road, as traffic does not go very fast. It will be interesting to see how much the pedestrian crossing is used. I hope the Parish Council are monitoring it.
cookhamite

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »

I agree with Maidenhead driver. Safety comes first and the first post must be tongue in cheek - colour of the paint?? It is WHITE, the same colour as all the other road markings. How good to see that there is now somewhere safe for the children to cross on their way to school. We just need a few more now - maybe one near the nursery.
Pedestrian
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 03:44:55 PM »

The problem is not the crossing itself, it is the jagged lines each side to stop people parking. Not that anyone in their right mind would park there anyway. If they had double yellow lines it would look better, they have not got proper orange flashing lights, so why do they need badly painted jagged white lines?
old bill

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »

parking within the zigzags of a crossing is an offence which carries points on your licence and is therefore considered to be serious. It is therefore imperative that the zigzag lines are in place for prosecution purpose and for the protection of pedestrians
hill

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 08:46:18 PM »

It seems odd that it was put there. I've been crossing at that point for years, and have never had a problem, as drivers slow down anyway because of the humps. And it's a shame we have to have more clutter and superfluous zig-zags. We really need a crossing further up towards Countrystores, I think. Any chance of that happening?
Joanie
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Old Bill, I have never ever seen anyone trying to "park" in the Pound!
But of course, the zig zag lines will now prevent that won't they.
Just in case anyone was thinking of parking on the speed humps there!

haha Wink
old bill

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »

but you can't have a pelican or zebra crossing without the zig zags,
Pongo

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »

This all goes back to the government having no flexibility. I assume this is something to do with the Highways Act. The truth is that the place chosen for the crossing is totally inappropriate near a roundabout. As hill says there is not a problem in actually crossing the road. The grouse everyone has is that they are close to vehicles while walking along the pavement which is quite intimidating.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: